Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Electromagnets Thread

Ok, we've seen magnets threads, but why isn't there any thread dedicated to electromagnets?

Post your projects, ideas, etc.

When I finished my "Magnet Box" I thought it'd be cool to re-do the project but with a powerful electromagnet (rechargeable AAs :p?).

Show us your cool stuff (sorry bud, not lasers this time)!

Switch

Well here's an old video of my first functional version of the camera flash coilgun, It kinda qualifies as an electromagnet application. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mEEfDhWws

I perfected it untill it went through a beer can a few inches in front, with a projectile about 3 or 4 times bigger than the one in the video.I was going to build it into a pistol-like housing when it was good enough, but because of the limitations of my circuit, the heavy projectile didn't reach a high enough speed and couldn't fly in a straight line enough for my taste.When I'm better at electronics maybe I'm gonna make a more powerful one.

I need a high voltage/low capacitance cap bank and a HV source capable of charging them close to full power.Then a way of discharging them into the coil without blowing or melting anything.I'm not sure how the coil has to be, but I guess I'd need thicker wire. :p

tell us more about your "magnet box" ::)

Switch said:
Well here's an old video of my first functional version of the camera flash coilgun, It kinda qualifies as an electromagnet application. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-mEEfDhWws

I perfected it untill it went through a beer can a few inches in front, with a projectile about 3 or 4 times bigger than the one in the video.I was going to build it into a pistol-like housing when it was good enough, but because of the limitations of my circuit, the heavy projectile didn't reach a high enough speed and couldn't fly in a straight line enough for my taste.When I'm better at electronics maybe I'm gonna make a more powerful one.

I need a high voltage/low capacitance cap bank and a HV source capable of charging them close to full power.Then a way of discharging them into the coil without blowing or melting anything.I'm not sure how the coil has to be, but I guess I'd need thicker wire. :p

tell us more about your "magnet box"  ::)

I posted a thread about it, i'll add it to my sig:

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1233604239

Switch

Oh snap , I missed the thread.....probably because I still had 2 exams at the time.Posting in it now... ;D

LOL Electromagnets are cool. But for a really strong one they are power hungry!

There is a really cool one here

-Tony