Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

EFFORT for KipKay Flagging on YouTube

This is a organized Effort to Flag KipKay Videos on YouTube as not safe. This has been called into action by others and I just had enough Drinks to post this...:friend:

GOTO EDIT Laser Lighter And Please Flag this Crap. Thank You.

EDIT2 JaiNobeZ Idea: Instead of just Flagging it If you would like, it would be better to reply why it's a bad idea and what is being done wrong.

Last edited:

personally I'm all up for it but thousands already watched this video and I'm sure hundreds already did it. Though I don't think it can hurt to be ready for the next kipkay and lasers moment. Good luck with your goal. hopefully it gets taken down.

IMO this is a bad idea. If YouTube are alerted that his videos are dangerous they'll start to think all laser videos are dangerous and then we can no longer use YouTube as a medium via which to show our videos.

Jai, I happen to disagree with you here... Only because I think there is a certain element of common sense that goes with being a YouTube moderator. I personally would rather email YouTube directly and explain why the video is dangerous but since we can't do that, we can flag his vids.
Also, YouTube might not see it as dangerous and we get ignored but at least we tried.

YouTube mods don't have time to review every vid either. The fact that we post vids on what we do with our lasers is very different than telling someone else to do something dangerous like he's doing, if that makes sense.

It's likely that the video of Renee -vs- the arctic won't get pulled because they didn't suggest that anyone else try this. Now if it were a tutorial on how to burn someone else... That's a different story. It's all about context :)

I don't disagree that there could be a remote possibility that YouTube sees all laser tutorials as bad, but with as many videos on YouTube as there are, I think you overestimate how "important" a few laser hobbyists are in YouTube's eyes.

Last edited:

GBD

I already did this months ago.. but what the hell, I got a new account, done and done.

3zuli

so if I understand correctly, just go there and flag all his laser-related videos (is that right?)

I would say just the pot molding one for now, though I can't stop you from flagging the rest lol

Benm

I have a bit of a problem with this effort. Looking at the potmodding video, he at least mentions to wear goggles while doing this (not that they help against IR spill, but ok). The only reason to flag it would be 'dangerous harmful acts', but i don't feel this specific video would fit that.

Just making the laser more powerful in itself is not very dangerous. The danger comes from whatever you do with it after. If it were to result in harm, that would probably mean shining someone in the eye, which wasn't a good idea with the unmodified laser in the first place. Adding to that is that there are plenty of '5 mW' lasers on the market that produce much more power without any proper labeling, and that the chances of his mod actually working are slim, i don't see much to worry about.

Lets do a car analogy: If it posted a tutorial how to increase the top speed of your car from 120 to 140 mph, would that be harmful? Surely you could cause more damage going at 140, but on the other hand you were supposed to abide by the speed limit prior to the upgrady anyways. So it does only increase the potential danger when you do something that was stupid in the first place.

Okay, different question:

Isn't it technically illegal in the US to have a class 3b laser without proper security devices? (output block, key, tail cap, etc) or is that just specific to importing?

What I'm getting at here is that he's suggesting you make a laser that could be against FDA regulation. I dunno, I'm Canadian but hopefully you see what I'm getting at anyway.

Not illegal to own. Against FDA regulations (but still not illegal) to import. That's my understanding anyway.

And this further illustrates what i was saying. Plenty of LPF users have videos on how to build a high-powered laser and there's no good reason why Kipkay's should be taken down if theirs shouldn't.

Some of his videos yeilded very poor safety, like where he was giving away arctics (probably with the shoddy WL goggles) and like where he was building a BluRay laser lighter and not encouraging the use of safety goggles (not that it's intelligent to point lasers at your face WITH safety goggles anyway) but i'm with Benm. This one doesn't strike me as bad laser safety.

I don't even think that pot mod would help 1 person. :crackup:

But he should explain a little better what "Safety Glasses" Are in terms of lasers. If he is trying to educate hes not doing a good job.

And yes Benm I Agree hes just making stupid people have more dangerous Ideas and try stupider stuff.

GBD

Well, IMO we dont need to worry much about that pot modding vid.

He is using a WL product, Im sure if one where to attempt this vid, they will have to wait at least a year or two before thier pointer shows up.
(not counting those who already have it... thats the issue here)

By the time it does come, they will probably know that pot-modding is not the way to go.
and will proceed to buy an actual high powered laser.

:)