Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

effects of moisture on hygroscopic crystals?

ixfd64

As we know, some laser crystals (such as LBO) are hygroscopic; in other words, they absorb moisture from the air. Depending on the material, it may merely lock in the water molecules, or it react with the water, and even dissolve.

But what happens in the case of NLO materials? For example, if an LBO crystal absorbs some moisture and becomes foggy, would there be a way to remove the moisture without damaging the crystal, or would the quality of the crystal be permanently affected?

Last edited:

Aerogel is an excellent desiccant.

If the crystals will be effected, I have not clue.

ixfd64

If it's possible to remove the moisture from a crystal without damaging it, then I'd imagine that it may not be a bad idea to include a small block of aerogel next to the crystal.

By the way, I've also heard that coating a crystal with certain materials would prevent moisture from permeating into it. Does anyone know if this is true?

You can use aerogel, but standard silica gel dessicant will do the job nicely. Then all you have to do is ensure that they container holding the crystal (or the laser head head as a whole) is airtight.

I haven't found any hygroscopic crystals that are coated to prevent moisture absorption.. that doesn't mean they don't exist, it only means that I haven't seen or heard of them.