Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ednalite laser pointer

hi everybody, just bought an ednalite laser pointer, and wondering if any body has any modification advice/ or modified one themselves. thanks mrtroy1

Buy the proper protective glasses. Get good batteries. Resist the urge to disassemble and modify the internals.

Which model do you have? (red or green)
I bought a good sized lot of the 635 2C models awhile back and aold them at cost around here They are big and bulky and less then 5 mw, but I still like them.

I guess I should also make sure what you have is actually a real laser pointer. They made a bunch of Projection Pointers that used a high power light bulb to project an image of an arrow. These are sometimes mistakenly referred to as "laser pointers".

Some images of the one you have would be great.

Buy the proper protective glasses. Get good batteries. Resist the urge to disassemble and modify the internals.
The ednalight pointers are all as far as I know less then 5mw and should be "mostly" eye safe. These are not like the cheap lasers from China. Mine come in around 3mw which is r ight on par with the one I sent Dave. (I didn't have an LPM then and he measured it for me)

If you wear goggles with a less then 5mw laser, it makes it a little useless. ;)

Btw: They also run on C sized primary cells.

They still make them or this company sells NOS. Not that I would consider paying $120 for a 3 mw laser.

http://www.dsan.com/sc/shop/category.asp?catid=15

Last edited:
I just assumed it was another cheap Chinese pen style... my bad.
Wow! Those are monsters! Are these just old school? What's the story?

I just assumed it was another cheap Chinese pen style... my bad.
Wow! Those are monsters! Are these just old school? What's the story?

I wish I had more info then I do on these. I've never found anyone else that actually owns one aside from the ones I resold here. I am making some assumptions on power based on a rather small sampling, but I think theses were made in the us with universities in mind, so I think it's safe to assume a 100mw + one isn't likely to turn up.

Everything I know about them for sure was posted here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/picked-up-some-635-lasers-off-e-bay-65785.html

There are some good photos in that thread that will give you a better idea of just how huge theses things are. I really like the fact that the bottom of them isn't round. I assume that was to keep them from rolling off a podium if you were using them for a presentation.

I only ended up keeping two for myself.

If you think those are old school; google up the projection pointers that Ednalite used to make. I think Dave actually has two of those guys. Those are all over eBay, but I haven't bought one yet.

There is a single green one up on eBay at the moment. If I wasn't so broke I'd grab it in a heartbeat. :(

Last edited:
hi ,guys yes pretty bulky! i have a red one. its not the arrow projection one thank god. i bought it off e-bay for $1.50 that included shipping. good deal i spose. i wonder if i or someone could modifiy into a better laser?? i think it being so heavy that it already has a great heat sink?? let me know thanks. peace troy

I'm sure someone could build a new laser in that host. I agree the mass of it would do well as a large heat sink. You would have to get someone to machine a custom heat sink that would fit in the host and you would still need to purchase a laser diode, a driver, and add in some lithium batteries that would fit in that host or some 18650 batteries with C sized spacers.

Your best bet if you are serious would be to check with a couple of the guys that do custom machine work and get an estimate on costs. You also need to think about the wavelength you want as that will affect the cost. Look through the Pro Shop and the Buy Sale Trade sections here to get an idea of who does custom machine work.

The point being is there isn't going to be a cheap / easy way to modify the one you have. It's a low powered diode and there isn't any way to "pot mod" it in to anything more. It will take a complete rebuild.

If it were me, and I'm a bit biased with these lasers, I'd just enjoy the very cool and somewhat unique low power laser pointer. ;)

It sounds like a fantastic piece of history. A buck fifty shipped? That is awesome!

PS does it work?

daguin

hi ,guys yes pretty bulky! i have a red one. its not the arrow projection one thank god. i bought it off e-bay for $1.50 that included shipping. good deal i spose. i wonder if i or someone could modifiy into a better laser?? i think it being so heavy that it already has a great heat sink?? let me know thanks. peace troy

These "projection pointers" are actually pretty cool if you are a pointer collector. They are part of pointer history

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw= +Ednalite+Projection

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Hey! You are alive! I hope you are feeling better. Welcome back.

hiya dave:beer: good to "see" ya
i like that green ednalite, i bought one of the red ones when they were offered here. i could have a set:thinking:
i didn't realize ednalite was so big in the early pointer days. thanks jcranmer for the piece of history!

edit:

i got it!

Last edited:
hiya dave:beer: good to "see" ya
i like that green ednalite, i bought one of the red ones when they were offered here. i could have a set:thinking:
i didn't realize ednalite was so big in the early pointer days

if you do grab it and ever decide you want to sell it later, please keep me in mind. :beer:

i sure will bro, yeah i'm bidding.
the ednalite you sold me was my first 635 laser and pretty much began my wave length quest.

hi guys thanks for all the advice. trying to convence my wife that all household need a good high powered laser or 2 or 3 . hope i can get a nice one soon. peace troy