Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eBay sh!t lasers / module swapping / no

Hello to all.

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

First off, I want to say thanks for all the good info on here, and big ups to the very knowledgable users.

Before I realized that there were cheap high power lasers available.. I started a plan to make or customize my own.

I bought 2 ebay greens; shipped for $11.00

I bought a "50 mw" module for $20.00 shipped.

My plan was to just carefully swap out the mods.

Didn't work so well. Good thing I bought 2, cause I totally fckd one proper.

I watched the video on pulling these shits apart.. and thought i was prepared.
As soon as I got the cap off.. I knew it wasn't happening (mod swap). It was my error to think that all these pointers were a standard design.

I expected to pull out the module, attached to the cap. no.

Now these are the pointers that are black and have the rubber-feel to them. The clip says LASER POINTER.

I have the extra pointer.. but I'm not going to dismantle it, because it seems as though the production in this model is hard against any type of mod. Looks like the module is set to screw in.. and magically align for the button to function. And.. looking at the now destroyed mod... looks like a POS compared to the nicer stuff I've seen on the site. Is this a plastic focusing lens? seems like a really shitty focusing setup. My the good modules seem to house the focusing.. where as this POS seems to use the case tubing to support the plastic focusing housing. lame.. also looks like there is also NO heat dispersment(sp).. IF the diode actually needed it. This has to be the bottom bucket for < 5mw. POS.

So I guess the point of this post was to inform anyone like myself that not all cheapie eBay lasers are built the same.. and also.. that a mod swap is very difficult .. if possible at all.

Seems like I have a nice module... thats really too nice for these shit pointer cases.

Does anyone know where I need to place the order to get the pointer (case) that my module is compatiable with. I'm pretty sure it should be the one in which the pointer cap screws on to the mod.

Here are some pics for " a 1000 words ". sorry for focus.. shit phone cam.

what a shitty module right?

i planned on having a nice 50mw in my pocket for the tech parties in detroit next weekend... looks like im gonna have to macgyver some type of housing for my mod.

glad i only wasted about $6 so far. what a piece of shit though.

anyways.. thanks guys.

nice site.

Attachments

• img069.jpg
    img069.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

You do seem to reference the fecal matter a lot??

Welcome to LPF. Enjoy your time with us here.

mat.jpg

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

Sam's Laser FAQ - Preface, Introduction, What is a Laser?, Safety

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology - an Open Access Resource of In-Depth Information, Free Articles, Nonlinear and Fiber Optics

I have included a handy guide to assist you in finding what you need. ;)

search.gif

You could look at buying a host for your 50mW green.
Look in the pro shop. Both jayrob and flaminpyro have custom hosts for green. jayrob even has a chrome pen host for like $11

are we not allowed to delete our own postings?

can this post be removed?

ps- thanks for the info..

ive placed a wanted post in the buy sell trade area... im looking for a host ASAP

thanks agai

ParentalAdvisory.gif

Duuuude, like, you "censored" the first one in your thread title like "sh!t" then you went on blazing in the thread itself...

Funny as hell though.

For module swapping...

Heck, the bottom one in your pic, looks liek half is missing. Exact same intrails are in top one, if you thread it apart. Never saw black plastic cover before...

oikos

for the money u spent, u could've gotten 2 50mws @ LEDShop

"for the money u spent, u could've gotten 2 50mws @ LEDShop "

alright.. why didn't you send a link?

seems like a hit on quality..

i didnt see any modules on the site.. but might be a different site.

i dont think a >5mw ready-to-go pointer will make it past US customs. idk

anyway.. sweet reply.. thanks

shit

ParentalAdvisory.gif

Duuuude, like, you "censored" the first one in your thread title like "sh!t" then you went on blazing in the thread itself...

Funny as hell though.

For module swapping...

Heck, the bottom one in your pic, looks liek half is missing. Exact same intrails are in top one, if you thread it apart. Never saw black plastic cover before...
the modules really are different.

the nicer mod doesnt even fit into the host.. and inside the host there is a threaded section (glued) in which the module and focusing system shared. what you refer to as the black plastic cover.. is the focusing lens. really cheap and odd. sorry the pics are bad.. otherwise i think the details would tell a better story here.

i prefer the focusing on the mod itself.. like the 50mw i have.

but yeah these mods are different... and the pics show all the inards of the laser i messed up.

i believe that these ebay lasers i bought are really build to be tamper proof. there was no way for me to get the mod out.. without twisting and putting force on the diode leads.

Last edited:

oikos