Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay Pens - Before I purchase them!

Hey Everyone!

As I do before all of my laser-related business decisions, I come to you guys for feedback, warnings, suggestions, etc. So, here's the item in question this time around.

5mW 532nm Astronomy Mid Open Green Beam Light Laser Pointer Pen Class 3A Black | eBay

Now, bear in mind, I am NOT buying this with the "Noob" thought of 'This thing is gonna be the brightest thing ever. It's got to be worth $500!', I'm buying them well aware that it's a cheap Ebay pen from China. I intend to purchase FIVE of them, totaling $24.95 after shipping. But, before I do drop the "Buy Now" hammer, lets hear it.

Anyone have bad experiences with this seller?

Think this is the best deal on Ebay greenies right now?

Leave me some feedback, or even links to a better deal on cheap greens. Keep in mind I'm purchasing more than one, so if you're aware of some kind of "Buy 5 at 20% off" type of deal, or "Package Deals", let me know. :beer:

Sorry for the wall of text, that isn't nearly as well organized as my usual threads. I've just been awake a really long time, and my patience is wearing a bit thin for making the thread look pretty. :tired:

Oh, added note! - I chose this seller because in a past review, people purchasing cheap ebay pens from this specific seller were reporting outputs from 80mW - 200mW, 9 times out of 10. So, I figured I'd try my luck.

DJNY

I told you in our PM conversation before, be carfull with these, how old are your nephews?

DJNY said:
Most of these pens doing +60mW and are dangerous to use with out glasses.

Sorry that I can´t help you more. You might open a threat in the B/S/T section asking for "WTB metered 405nm pens"
Another option is to go with laserbtb. I also got a <5mW from there.

XxCodyDarnellxX said:
If it did happen to be you, I was curious as to if you actually sell any of the pens you meter? With my 300mW 532nm laser on the way, I know my young nephews are gonna want to play with it. And, knowing me, saying 'no' to the cute little guys is gonna be hell. So, I'd like to pick up 1 - 5 (varying on price), 1mW - 5mW lasers, of varying wavelengths if possible, although I don't mind the same wavelength.

Guess this is on of the best deal for 5pcs 405nm out there:
5 pcs 5mW Purple Blue Ray Laser Pointer Pen Powerful Beam Light Presentation 405nm Free Shipping-in Laser Pointers from Office & School Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Edit: So you´re looking for 532nm pens?

Last edited:
I actually just ordered that exact laser from that exact seller a few weeks ago. It arrived a few days before the estimated shipping, and the laser seems to work fine. Only thing is its not 5 mW. I don't know if its IR leaking through or the green light is over 5 mW, but if I hold it to my skin for a few seconds it starts to burn. So I would definitely be careful with these pens and not have them anywhere near anyone's eyes.

An unfocused laser that puts out enough power to sting your skin is pushing some serious mW.

The ones I have are still bright but must be considerably more tame, as I've never stung my skin with them. In fact I think the only laser I have that will do that unfocused is my 445, and possibly my SKY 532 if held there.

Last edited:

Tmack

^ Agreed. I can feel a 60mw unfocused when I hold it very still to my skin. So be careful .

That being said, a few months ago I found an eBay seller overfeel that sold some of the greenies your buying and some of the "military" pointers. The bigger of the two I bought and is over 100mw. Pman also found the holy grail of pens when he ordered. They were the kind everyone has been looking for . The ones that can be made focus able. Ad one of the greenies he got was 140mw!!!!! More than the bigger one I got. By no means will all of them be that high. But hey, sounds like your well aware of the crap shoot, so blow on those dice and roll!!!!!,

Pman

Ebay seller "overfeel" for ones you can make focusable (see my link).
If you are getting a sting from a unit that is focused to infinity that's a very strong unit. Would think it is either a freak unit or it's not really focused to infinity as I can certainly sting skin with most overspec pens focused. I just tested an 80mw 405nm focused to infinity and it burns a bit but I can stand it.
There are other factors involved such as how dark your skin is.
If you are going to order those. better do it quick or they won't ship before the long holiday. The overfeel units are in New York city.

I decided to test these out myself. Just ordered some. Let's see how much IR these things are putting out.

Last edited:
My ebay green that can burn is focused to infinity (it has low divergence too which is nice)

I wouldn't say it "burns" exactly. After about 5 seconds I can feel a hot spot on my skin and after about 10 seconds it starts to feel painful.

My skin is pretty light so it must be pushing some decent mW. I can see the green beam in a dimly lit room if that provides any reference.

Tmack

The lowest I can get a painful sting is 60mw, but my skin is darker. I'm half Asian and work outside so I am moderately dark.

FWIW I actually tried this with my SKY 532-100 with moderately charged batteries and the unfocussed "dot" did nip my skin a bit after a few seconds. You kinda do have to try though. 532s are deceptive though because they have needle thin beams. I didn't expect it to sting as much as it did and as quickly with it being unfocussed, just a reminder that lasers are to be respected.

Never trying that with my 445 though after seeing the holes it has made in things lol

Last edited:
Update: I ordered the 5 lasers, and am awaiting their arrival. Expected Jan 29th to Feb 5th, so we'll see. I do not own an LPM, however I will (as safely as I can?) test their output powers using process of elimination, and feeling it's heat. For example, if it pops a balloon after 3 seconds, it's obviously not "5mW". If it can't light a match, it's obviously not as high as "50mW". I'll also use what you guys said about it's effect on your skin, to judge how much heat it's putting off. I'll do this by placing them the same distance from my hand in each test, and hold the back of my hand to them and time how long it takes to feel heat, and then how long it takes for it to sting.

Now, as an added question, do you guys know of any good method of marking / labeling them? I ordered 5 IDENTICAL lasers, so really, they all look the same. Should I put a scratch in the host as tally marks, "l" then "ll" then "lll" and so on, to label them 1 through 5? Or perhaps use a sharpie on a silver part of the host, and add 1 little black dot, for whatever it's number is, so the 3rd will have 3 little black dots? Or, if I should do something less permanent, maybe very thin strips of tape, 1 strip for whatever number it is? Perhaps literally use small sticky notes on them, to put the numbers "1, 2, 3" and so on?

Those are a few of the ideas I had, let me know if you've got a better one, or which of those sounds good to you. :beer:

Usually ebay pen lasers have one of those warning stickers on them and they usually say what wavelength they are so just go with that.

Pman

I use a label maker. All my lasers under 100mw have a black letter on white background and the ones above 100mw have black on yellow. Label with the actual peak mw I get as I label for danger and not average output. I occasionally use a black on clear but it never seems to stick as well.
Label makers are very inexpensive but some of the tapes aren't.
My order of 6 say they shipped yesterday I believe but they still have to clear the country or they will get stuck in China for the holiday duration.
532nm power guessing is a complicated matter due to the mode hopping and IR etc... I should be able to claim that I can guess the outputs better than most since I've had a stupid # of them and modified so many. I could probably do pretty well with the specific pens and modules that I am very familiar with but much worse if I just had a pile of them from different sources. It's easy to see the difference in brightness between units less than 100mw and especially below 50mw but that's brightness and doesn't take into account the IR and if the unit isn't exactly focused to infinity. You certainly know you have something if you can pop a balloon or light a match but can you pop a lighter colored balloon and a green tipped match.
I ordered a <200mw pen from Fasttech also that says it shipped (for $31) to test and report on. Never know when you are going to find a gem in the bunch. In my experience one rated for 200mw will generally put out about 150mw or so. It should feel quite a bit heavier than a normal cheap pen as the heat-sink is bigger. We shall see.

I would like your friend to take a look at my focusable pen tutorial to see if the lens looks the same as the ones I show. Generally you really only have to look down inside with a light to see if the lens has the 2 holes on either side and please DON'T do it with the batteries in and accidentally shine it in your eyes. They may be fun but they are NOT toys.

Pete

What do you mean "hand-select" LS? Assuming you mean that you can accurately test the outputs. Are you purchasing <5mw units or buying bunches and then testing them and offering low powered ones for sale? It's not easy to find actual <5mw lasers unless you adjust the pot on a module . Good service for those who want a 532nm for the cat/dog or whatever.

Last edited:
What do you mean "hand-select" LS? Assuming you mean that you can accurately test the outputs. Are you purchasing <5mw units or buying bunches and then testing them and offering low powered ones for sale? It's not easy to find actual <5mw lasers unless you adjust the pot on a module . Good service for those who want a 532nm for the cat/dog or whatever.
Yes. The five I have for sale are from a lot of Chinese DPSS green lasers I recently
purchased. They have all been tested and the unstable, misaligned, and others with poor
beam characteristics have all been removed.

These all have pressed-in modules, something which I have not seen before, and a plastic
support frame for the circuit board inside. Once I manufacture a module puller for them, I will
be able to do pot turning on them as well. If there is some interest in it, I will also offer a few
select units with IR filtering.

Last edited:

Pman

Are you sure they have pots? I haven't seen ones with pots that are regular <5mw branded ones.
What exactly are you selling at this point so that we all know.

My DX true 5 has a pot and I was assuming these did as well, although I can't see well
enough in there to tell for sure. I'll know once I make the module puller tool. There is a
picture of one in the link in my signature. On the outside they look identical to a DX true 5.
The inside has the differences I mentioned above. Addidionally, the module does not
thread into the end cap. Here is the label in its entirety, including Engrish grammar and
spelling.

• OURS™
  • AVOLD EXPOSURELASER
  • LIGHT IS EMTTED FROM THS APERTURE
  • DANGER
  • LASER RADIATION
  • AVOID OIRECT EYE EXPOSURE
  • MAX OUTPUT POWER <5mW
  • WAVELENGTH 532nm±10
  • CLASS III LASER PRODUCT
  • This product complies with 21CFR
  • MADE IN CHINA