Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Net finds thread, real or bogus specifications? Report the good or the bad here.

Encap

From what I know, there are A140's, M140 A types and M140 M types.

Exactly --there are 2 M140s 1.8W China made and the Japan only made 2W The (older?) China made A-series M140 1.8W and newer Japan mase 2+W M140--is a DTR distinction based upon performance and origin

thats true but the m140 A types are actually the same diode as A140. it just mean it harvested out of m140 projector which includes both of A and M types

Seems to be lower output binned are called China mad M140 A-type and the 2+W M140 are called Japan M140
At least that is how DTR has them sorted out.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445-m140-didoes
and https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/445nm-h1650-diodes

Main difference between A and M is the number of contact filaments attached to the diode bar.

The A-series diodes have three contact filiments on each side spread evenly across the die from both posts
The stronger M series diodes have four contacts. The contacts on one side are spaced with three at the top of the die and one at the bottom of the die from one post.The four contacts, from the other post, are evenly spaced . Info and images courtesy of DTR's site

diodediag.jpg

P1012168.jpg

Last edited:

Looks pretty good, other than the photos--2 of the pics in it are 2 pin photos and 3 pics are 3 pin and only one pic is of an M series--description and all written details are ok

I give up--what's wrong with it?

Actually the 3rd pin (case pin) is just shorter than the others and you just can't see it in the photos. If you look closely at the 2nd picture you can see the shadow from it. I do not cut the pins. They are shorter on all the A, M, H Series diodes. The A-Type diodes are found in most of the older series projectors. The A14x, M14x, H16xx and H17xx projectors all have the "A" Types appearing in them. Depending on their manufacturing date and stated lumens you will find a different mix of them together in the same arrays.

Last edited:

Encap

The problem is we have never gotten the actual Nichi@ part numbers for these diodes and they were named by the Ca$io projectors they came out of. This has lead to all sorts of confusion because either diode could be found in these projectors, so there is no good way to differentiate between them. I guess the best way, if you have the diode in hand, is to look for the square logo between the pins on the heftier diode, but that doesn't mitigate the problem when trying to describe them.

Not just the square code--that alone is A type.
The M diodes have the square code with a"spot/circle" above the square code. The info inside the square code is different as well, but that may also cover batch, date, and whatever other info. Info and image courtesy of DTR's site

diode2.jpg

Last edited:
I stand corrected. You are definitely right, Encap. It would serve me better not to rely on my memory alone and check these things before I post.

Encap

I stand corrected. You are definitely right, Encap. It would serve me better not to rely on my memory alone and check these things before I post.

No worries Paul--was never much clearer than mud in most quartes and was a loon time ago--- some but not much uinterest in them these days--they still are a good alternative low cost diodes compared to current ones--depends upon requirements/desires output-wise and lifetime -wise

Man....I still have a brand new Projector with
the A130 LDs in them somewhere in the Shop.

DTR sure did a good job of showing the
differences and how to tell the A140 and
M140 apart on his site..

Jerry

Last edited:

Encap

Man....I still have a brand new Projector with
the A130 LDs in them somewhere in the Shop.

DTR sure did a good job of showing the
differences and how to tell the A140 and
M140 apart on his site..

Jerry

He surely did--I got most of the info from DTR's site and all of the pictures from it.

Last edited:
That's where I got my information as well. It has been on his site for awhile now. Jordan has gone out of his way to bring more useful information here than most anyone else. Kudos to him for all the help.

Look at this listing, it shows a three emitter output diode, but when double checking with the seller if his listing is accurate, he says no, it is two emitter, he lists it as a G85, but shows a picture for a different diode.... Nevermind the text on the picture says G84, what if the buyer doesn't catch that? These China sellers get me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332314332676

Encap

Look at this listing, it shows a three emitter output diode, but when double checking with the seller if his listing is accurate, he says no, it is two emitter, he lists it as a G85, but shows a picture for a different diode.... Nevermind the text on the picture says G84, what if the buyer doesn't catch that? These China sellers get me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332314332676

Typical misrepresentation because the people doing the eBay listing and sometimes the entire business know nothing about what they sell.

I asked him why he uses a photo of the three emitter G84, he said where? I guess he doesn't know what his own listing photo's show anymore, hope he fixes it.

It may just be that particular salesperson that responded to your question. Some know much more than others. It's funny that everyone of them goes by the name Robinson. That listing is clearly for a three emitter diode.