Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

eBay 5mw 405nm "High power laser"...not!

So, about a month ago i bought a laser pointer from eBay. Bear in mind i had never owned a high power laser pointer before. Iv only ever had a naff little red laser keyring thing when i was a kid. and it was weak...

so weak i could look directly into it (well i was a stupid 7year od) and it wouldn't even dazzle me. but i loved the dot and it had about 30 different heads to make different pictures. Which obviously meant i hammered it.
i would hold the button down until the batteries died over and over again.

suffice to say. i killed that little laser within a week or two... but it wasn't the laser that died it was the button. and i just threw it in a box.
I found it about 2 months ago..21 years later...:yh:

so i fixed it and hooked it up to my power bench fiddled with the power to make it brighter and then killed it... (it FiZZed! to death...) :oops:

So i bought this: 405nm Blue VIOLET Powerful Laser Pointer High Power Adjustable 5mW Charger | eBay

When it arrived i got a jiffy bag with these in it.
hgio.jpg

and i mean they were nicely wrapped in a fair amount of bubble wrap. the charger was in a heat sealed plastic bag and the battery was placed between the charger and the laser.

As i had never owned a laser like this before i had no idea what i was doing. other than not aiming it at anyone i had no clue what else was "safe practice".
I didnt even know how to focus the thing for about a day. It obviously had a ridged bit that i initially thought was to unscrew the head so must be to focus it too... but it would not move...
at least at first. it did move. just not in the direction i was turning it! :banghead:
I'd been trying to unscrew it like you would a bottle... Not good!
Because i tried to force it i think i might have loosened the threads a bit. so now the focus lens doesn't hold its position very well..
but in retrospect im sure it would have been fine if i had just turned it left. so yeah. turn it left!
fp69.jpg

When i turned it on the first time it was amazing! Sooo Bright! and i could see the beam in the dark. Sweet!:drool:
w9hm.jpg

and the beam is nearly visible in light too. very cool laser. but i kept thinking it was far too powerful to be a 5w pointer. so i did a bit of googling and found myself here! :wave: Helloooo!

Did a bit more research and figured it cant be a 5mw... it says on it <200mw. which i know could mean any where between 1- 200mw.
im pretty sure this this thing is at leaaast 100mw, but i have no lpm to test it so im just going off comparable pics ive seen on here but it burns. it needs a bit of focusing but it definitely burns.

So, ive had the pointer for about a month and it still burns and it's still visible in the dark... and ive used it nearly everyday for more or less 30-60min and its still great.

I didnt have goggles at first so i did dazzle myself a bit when i was messing bout burning stuff... massive mistake!! i know exactly what you guys mean when you say you NEED goggles...
i only tried burning stuff for a couple of days and im sure i hurt my eyes a bit.
When i was reading through the forum i found a couple of posts that sent a chill up my back.:barf:
Im not saying ive hurt them badly but i could definitely tell things weren't the same. so i stopped burning stuff and ordered some goggles... pronto! my eyes feel better now and every things normal again.
SO WEAR YOUR DAMN GOGGLES PEOPLE! You cant buy new eyes..

But it got me thinking... what if a kid got hold of one of these pointers off ebay? or this was used in the place of the actual 5mw pointer that someone thought they were getting?
I see law suits coming! which is not good for the hobby!
Why didnt the seller list it as a 100+mw pointer?
ive seen other pointers on ebay since then that say 5mw on the listing but in the discription it says what the actual power is.
I'm glad i got a powerful laser and to be honest i knew it was likely to be overspec as i saw some article about it on some news somewhere.. but what about the people that end up hurting others because of this?

this was meant be review but it turned into a rant....
anyway safety established, i shall tell you wonderful people about this awesome laser.

It takes one 16340 ultrafire and comes with a charger.
I saw that its one of those nasty cheap chargers that blow up for fun so found out a fused converter plug and checked the fuse was good.
ib29.jpg

2d2u.jpg

8atq.jpg

When i plugged the charger into adapter it was obviously dangerous..
hqyo.jpg

It only takes a little bit of pressure on the end of the charger to make it start to come out of the adapter..
46hw.jpg

so taped it together so i could be sure it wont come out..
yql1.jpg

I hate it! i never leave it while its charging a battery...
Ive got a decent charger coming but so far it hasnt exploded and killed me! (touch wood!)

the battery seems to work well. it had a voltage of 4.1v when i got it. which is nice. and seems to be cycling well. doesnt even warm up when charging.

2jdz.JPG

it has a orange clicky switch on the end cap. it feels really sturdy and has a nice clicky clicking sound... er... yeah!
90z3.jpg

All in all a very good laser for the price. Im really pleased with it. it has definately set me off and now need more lasers.... :wtf:
heres a few beam shots i took.
4eul.jpg

ap2p.jpg

wlyn.jpg

jxq8.jpg

you can just about see my u.v. corner it hat last one but...
5smc.jpg

rsek.jpg

hy0e.jpg

x0l7.jpg

suffice to say... i was blown away! :drool:

You can see the beam in the liquid!
dau5.jpg

azy3.jpg

8qbg.jpg

ysyy.jpg

little bit of eye candy for those that stuck with me there...

thanks for reading my ramble. i hope someone somewhere enjoyed it.

Peace and lasers peole!

Lim
:thanks::beer:

Last edited:

Re: eBay 5w 405nm "High power laser" ....notl!

That is the exact laser that got me started. Well almost exact mine was a 532. Claimed 5mw lights matches smokes black objects. Now that I have many 532 varying from34mw to 392mw all lpmed I feel confident to say my ebay laser is 100mw. On another website they call those hosts the covert host. I think on big lasers or something. But after I had it for and hour I needed more. Now I just finished my own review on about half my collection and I would say I'm off to a great start. From having no lasers in August and never been on a forum, I feel pretty comfortable here in most aspects and my collection is growing. I'm sure you will be with same my friend. The laser sickness has struck again

a 5mw violet is barely visible and very unimpressive. If most people bought one, the would send it back, which is why the cheapo 405's are ALWAYS overpowered. And usually by quite a bit.

Not the same with green. A 5mw green looks decent.

Enjoy and be careful.

Where did you get that tripod that is holding the laser

Where did you get that tripod that is holding the laser

I made it... out of an old camera tripod and a bracket.. and some 2part epoxy putty. I'm quite pleased with it. :)

honeyx

Just as a note. Your title says its a 5W 405nm Laser.

As fate would have it i have same laser( really i said this before with another laser on the forum) as a lot of mine are from China ,hong Kong ...mine LPMs 105 mW and does a good job burning with the focus .there has been many posts on the dangers of eBay lasers .People who don't know think yeah 5 mW ...( not 5W) its basically harmless. When in fact that much power (100mW) as you pointed out will do serious to permanent damage to your eyes in a flash of a reflective surface never mind pointing it directly into someone's eyes as kids are more inclined to do. It been hammered to death but googles are essential and not an option.

honeyx

No, it´s not a 5W but also not a 5mW. However your title says 5W but you are linking to a 5mW on ebay so the "not" is related to the laser being offered as a 5mW. Beside this every other laser with a different power and even a different wavelenght will be not a 5W laser, so this is just a pun to crank the "not" in your title you are doing now.

But well I just wanted to point out this is confusing others the way it is, but maybe you also want it that way. It´s your thread so I´m not going to start a discussion about this now.

Oh... I see what you mean now. My apologies. I will fix that... its supposed to be ironic. But not that ironic... :) thanks for pointing it out.

Some time later.........

Er.. I don't seem to be able to change the title... it just needs a little m...
Oh great and mighty gods of the forum. Please, in your administrative perusal of this post hear my words and add an m to the title to avoid possible confusion. Amen!

Last edited:

Haha just go to edit then go advanced. I have spoken!!

Er.. I don't seem to be able to change the title... it just needs a little m...
Oh great and mighty gods of the forum. Please, in your administrative perusal of this post hear my words and add an m to the title to avoid possible confusion. Amen!
Ah hum that's not a double post i see a few posts up is it lol . Id go back and edit it remember the start you had here :beer:

Last edited:

Ah hum that's not a double post i see a few posts up is it lol . Id go back and edit it remember the start you had here :beer:

i thought it was an appropriate way of representing the passage of time.. and it was also a response... to myself. if those two posts were together it would make less sense... surely? :thinking:

1. Thou shalt not double post. 2. Thou shalt not post in dead threads. 3. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors post. 4. Thou shalt not take the blords name in vain. 5. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven laser that vaguely resembles anothers laser. 6. Honor thy 808nm and thy safety goggles. 7. Thou shalt not kill diodes. 8. Thou shalt not steel.... thous shalt copper or aluminium. 9. Thou shalt not bear false witness to reflected beams without appropriate eye wear. 10. Honor the Sabbath by using it to build lasers.........

thine First commandment a mortal sin .....Its Saturday night I'm stirring Bro ...

Last edited:
1. Thou shalt not double post. 2. Thou shalt not post in dead threads. 3. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors post. 4. Thou shalt not take the blords name in vain. 5. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven laser that vaguely resembles anothers laser. 6. Honor thy 808nm and thy safety goggles. 7. Thou shalt not kill diodes. 8. Thou shalt not steel.... thous shalt copper or aluminium. 9. Thou shalt not bear false witness to reflected beams without appropriate eye wear. 10. Honor the Sabbath by using it to build lasers.........

thine First commandment a mortal sin .....Its Saturday night I'm stirring Bro ...

Iv blown alllll my high power red diodes dude! :,(
so unless i make an i-r or use a naff dvd reader laser ive got to wait till monday to get another diode... damnitall!