Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ebay "1 Watt"

Now, everyone knows Ebay lasers are not advertised truthfully. Any listing that has the words military, power beam, burn, cigarette, match, or any of the sort are just trying to grab keyword searches. You never really know what you're going to get if you buy one, especially with high listed powers.

I found this one online here: Military 1W 450nm Blue Purple Laser Pointer Pen Power Beam Burn Cigarette Match | eBay and am actually wondering, could this actually be a 1 watt? I always see people saying <5mW to get under a certain law where it is clearly more then 5mw when it's received. And I'm left wondering, why didn't this seller do the same?

The seller has 99% positive ratings with almost 20,000 positive reviews, so I would trust them more than the average person. They sell the average things a Chinese laser seller would sell: cosmetics, lasers, flashlights, and cheap and fake Ultrafire batteries and chargers. Not out of the ordinary.

The page the laser is sold on is actually well made. It looks legit, but it says this, "Output power: 10 0 0." Whatever that means. There are also some grammar mistakes and overall sentence structure mistakes, furthering my assumption that this seller is a Chinese seller with Google Translate. The laser is advertised at 1W for $75.98, so I honestly have to say it's priced just fine for a 1W 445nm laser. The seller also shows at least some knowledge of lasers by using some complicated laser terms like, "Optical structure: Separation of crystal cavity design."

Overall, I can't really tell if this is legit or not. I won't get it, but tell me if it is :p. I may just get it ;).

Last edited:

GSS

Good chance that it is a 1W or something very close, but I believe some members have bought them and found out very quickly that they had an acrylic lens but some did have glass lenes. I should know to research this a bit before I posted but throwing it out there for now.

Just got mine in, the revision 2 with glass lens. Charging it up right now, but my god does this look promising so far. Freaking $75 shipped to my door, and people are getting 1.33W readings on this thing. I'm so glad I got my money back from SciFi because I would have never EVER ordered from Israel if I'd seen this sooner. This 445nm is all I ever wanted I'm just so happy. I'll post a review later.

Sta

Just got mine in, the revision 2 with glass lens. Charging it up right now, but my god does this look promising so far. Freaking $75 shipped to my door, and people are getting 1.33W readings on this thing. I'm so glad I got my money back from SciFi because I would have never EVER ordered from Israel if I'd seen this sooner. This 445nm is all I ever wanted I'm just so happy. I'll post a review later.

Great! It's nice to see new members making reviews, and it's also nice to see that you got a good deal on a good laser. :)

SyKo

Good chance that it is a 1W or something very close, but I believe some members have bought them and found out very quickly that they had an acrylic lens but some did have glass lenes. I should know to research this a bit before I posted but throwing it out there for now.

Was PM'ing with a user yesterday who'd had the same problem where they received a 1 Watt 445nm with a plastic that burnt out rather quick.

Slightly off topic, but a few months ago you could get some really good functioning high powered 445s and dpss532s in a what seems like standard hosts from Amazon. I bought a couple of 445s for $80 each. I bought my first blue on Amazon. The other wss that silver gatlin styled one. They both still work just fine and I've done plenty of burning and 7 min long duty cycles on the black one. (The light saberish host that takes two 16340s).
Until Amazon figured out what was going on, you could just key search "burn match" or "pop balloon" and all these different handheld lasers would come up. Even though they would say "1mw" you just knew they were actually 1watt. When i bought my silver one from the same seller the ad said "5mw" and at the time I was like "ohhh boy". The silver is slightly brighter than the black one.

Last edited:
I just bought one of the thor m2 with the glass lens. This laser is basicly the same as all the other 1 watt ebay laser but with a glass lens correct? cant wait to get it!

Pman

It's likely they are actually 1W but never assume the actual output as there is no way to tell without an actual measurement. Good luck guys and be safe. If it has a duty cycle I suggest you follow it and if it doesn't take it easy. Without opening it and inspecting what kind of heat sink it has by someone who knows what they are looking at it might not be able to take much before burning out the diode or even the driver. If the laser starts feeling really warm shut her off for a bit to cool down. Please don't try and take it apart either unless you really have experience as you could easily break something.
Not trying to be a party pooper guys. I just hate seeing stories about broken units. Don't get so excited you put the batteries in wrong as that is one of the most common mistakes made. Fully charge the cells first and don't leave the charging batteries unattended. If you use a little common sense and take care of it it could last a long time. Nothing stinks more than to make a simple mistake and blow the unit before you even get a chance to use it.

Tassie

I just bought the Thor laser the other day how do you tell if its the one with the glass lens .. Thanks Tassie