Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Easiest way to pot mod a 5 mW green laser pointer?

sb__iq

I read on this website that a pot mod can be achieved simply by removing the button and turning the screw found underneath.

The pot mod

Very very simple to do (nevertheless some seller tax you several thousands of dollars to achieve this modification, by persuading you that it's very difficult and take a lot of time!). Just take a knife, pop off the button and turn the little pot counterclockwise until the laser doesn't laser any more, then turn a little the pot clockwise. Now you have reached the max position of the pot. Current is normally ~320mA.

Is this true? And what brands of 5 mW green laser pointers are designed like this? I know that the Radio Shack 5 mW green laser pointer doesn't have its screw near the button.

A response to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Easiest way to pot mod a 5 mW green laser poin

It's a VERY SIMPLE way for you to kill your laser in very short order!!!!!!!

sb__iq

But is the screw really found right underneath the button? And what brands are designed this way?

I live in the US btw, so I cannot order laser pointers over 5 mW. Besides, I don't really mind if it only lasts for a few minutes.

the pot MIGHT be underneath. or you might have to drill a hole. I live in the US, so does jayrob, dave and many others. you can still get a green laser pointer over 5mws as long as the brand complies with fda regulations. or you can order a module with driver from olike, and build your own. pot modding may can kill your laser before you turn it on, if you accidentally drill a hole in the circuit board. if your gonna pot mod a laser, the only one i know that works is the green pen found at radioshack. its like 70 bucks or something, so pot modding may be a large waste of money if you fail

sb__iq

Hmmm.

Can you link me to a site that sells green laser pointers over 5 mW that are legal in the US and are under $100?

Preferably one that burns. But it's okay if it doesn't.

D

Deleted member 8382

any laser over 5mW is illegal in USA, no matter where it come from. The law is about "all lasers" not for "DX lasers" xd

Yours,
hallucynogenyc

--Hallucynogenyc-- said:
any laser over 5mW is illegal in USA, no matter where it come from. The law is about "all lasers" not for "DX lasers" xd

Yours,
hallucynogenyc

Please make sure you're correct before making statements like this. It is illegal to import/sell lasers >5mW in the US, but it is not illegal to own or buy (unless in doing so you import a laser without FDA approved safety features)

In regards to the OP's question, not all lasers are designed the same way - and some do not even have a pot to adjust at all. The only way to tell is to either find someone who has pot modded the same laser before, or you take it apart yourself to locate the pot.

kurtwx

I have done the pot mod to some of the early LeadLight lasers but I don't think it will work on any old green laser. To say that all you gad to do was pop off the button was a stretch. I had to totally disassemble the laer, hook it to external batteries and adjust the post. I know many of the newer (cheaper) lasers don't have a button that pops off and many may have fixed resistors in place of the pot. If you look on Ebay most of the green lasers shown look the same - barrel unscrews in the middle and they usually have a silver top cap and a chrome button. I have bought several of these lasers and about 50% of them put out way over 5mw. They are pretty cheap ($15 ea with ship) and it's kind of a luck of the draw thing. Buy 3 for $50 and you stand a pretty good chance of getting a good one. Last batch I got one good one and sold the other two for 10 bucks each. Next time I get a weak one I'm going to autopsy it and see if any modding can be done.

KW

the radioshack greenie is 50$ and can be pot modded but i wouldn't recomend it. just buy a high powered laser

(Sorry for bad grammar, I fail at typing on laptops)

sb__iq

Where can I buy an FDA approved laser pointer that is is 80 to 100 mW (besides o-like)?

sb__iq

Eek. That's out of my budget range. Is there anything out there around $100? It doesn't have to be green.

Actually, what is the "burning barrier" for lasers? Is it around 70 to 80 mW?

And thank you for answering my question rather than starting drama.

i am not sure. but i think the burning barrier is about 100mw. also with 70mw... you can burn.. but to burn matches.. i have ever found at least 100mw laser pointer. but i am not sure of all!! the burning barrier i think is also gave from the mm of the beam. a larger beam with 100mw ...is not more powerfull to burn respect a thin laser beam at 70/80 mw.

sb__iq

Hmmm.

So I can get a 75 mW laser pointer, but focus the dot so it burns matches?

Is this similar to a kid taking a magnifying glass and putting it up towards the sun to burn ants? And can I buy such an accessory that focuses the dot in this manner?

Thanks.

i bought a DX 5mw green laser for 13usd and pot modded it. it would light matches and pop baloons at 2ft with a little focusing :D
even cut electrical tape pretty qquickly.

too bad it died 3 days later :'(

--Hallucynogenyc-- said:

Yours,
hallucynogenyc

It is not illegal to have lasers over 5mW just to import them.