Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX new range of Blue/Violet Modules

DX have just bought out a new range pf Blue/Violet Laser Modules ranging from 5mw to 100mw:

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/100mw-405nm-blue-violet-royal-purple-laser-module-3v-80923

They seem relatively cheap so I assume they lack in the quality/longevity side of things but seem relatively well priced for something that comes with a driver already attached.

Anyway I was wondering what the experts here thought about these modules (as I am definetly a NOOB)?

Aaaand what type of cases/batteries (heat sinks maybe? lol) people would consider going along with these?

(p.s. sorry if this has already been posted).

Fenzir

Maybe a pen host, but that'd be pushing it. if it needs 3v, then CR123 should cut it, but then it can't be in a pen host. The superbeast #100 torch host might work, but I'm still p new here so I'm just throwing things out there.

LaZeRz

I hope these are up to spec unlike most crap from DX :p

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Its a green laser sold by an ebay company called itemquickship, they are generally cheap at around 25-30 dollars but ship only to the US

Last edited:
Hi experts once again.
Does anybody know if these are like DPSS/Green lasers in that the spring is the negative contact point for the battery and the brass (or copper) of the module is the positive contact point?

I am littel confused as to the differences/similarities between the two (besides colour and wavelength).

Kind Regards.

Last edited:

Benm

It looks like they are case positive like the green modules - notice it says V- next to the spring on the circuit board. I know there is little reason for this since the diode itself is case-neutral, but i guess they want them mechanically compatible with the green modules to make laser pens and such.

Be prepared to use your LPM . Yes , they are case positive.
Some "good" experience with DX I have

2 orders 3month waiting time
3 orders 2month waiting time

I do not count time wasted on writing emails.

Just my experience with DX - over 200 orders.
In the very beginning they were fine company.

Once you see message in your order status : Waiting for supplier.

Good luck :)

Benm

The first one seems to need to have a diode installed directly, so thats not compatible.

The second one -might- be. The module size seems about right, but i'm not really sure the switch will end up right under the hole in the pen. Also, i have my doubts about the 12mm dimensions - i've had pens that look exactly like that but take slightly larger (13mm or so) modules.

Hi all,
So I have got my module now and installed it into this host:
DIY/Test Laser Penstlye Hosts/For 12x60mm Laser Module (eBay item 260770713320 end time 17-Jun-11 15:36:16 AEST) : Business Industrial

I am using 2 x 1.5v AAA batteries.

Ofcourse I have included some action shots (daytime though).

So 100mw violet blu laser for <$25 all up.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Note: if you go with the same host, you will need to cut about 2 mm off of the thickness of the sponge o-ring under the button with a pair of scissors.

Note2: Sorry about the skewed photos. The pics were taken with an iphone and LPF only allows 800*600 photos for upload for some reason.

So what do you think?

Edit: I can't burn anything with it becasue I opted for the "no lens" path so the beam is WWAAYYYY to thick adn spread out.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
from what i hear, dx's lasers are WAY under spec. just be prepared as your usually will be

from what i hear, dx's lasers are WAY under spec. just be prepared as your usually will be
OH yeh, I am well aware. But if the beam is visible with sun shining through the window im going to guess its at least above 50mw (pure guess).

P.S. Just to confirm, theres no way I can make this a"burning" laser with this module host combo is there?

Last edited: