Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX module 532 build. - What host???

Okay guys, I'm going to do a 50mw greenie. Now I want to build it in a relatively small host, as i don't think they require much heatsinking? I could be wrong there. A pen host is underwhelming I think, but a c6 is overkill i think. So what's a good host geared toward a greenie that is somewhat like one of these.
UltraFire A6 Stainless Steel Cree Q5-WC 120-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*10440/1*AAA) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Mini Pen Style 1-LED White Light Flashlight 100LM (1 x AAA) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Btw, anyone know what the duty cycle is like on a bare 50mw green module??

Odicforce sells a few hosts for green modules that seem to be used in a lot of finished lasers that you buy online, although they ship from the UK.

This one can be focused: (here)

They also sell waterproof ones: (here)
Rayfoss also has basically the same items.

You can also get hosts from LPF members(like jayrob), look in the BST section.
I would guess that these hosts would give you a pretty substantial duty cycle with these hosts, although common sense should prevent you from killing your module. I really don't know what duty cycle you would get with a bare module, though. Also, keep in mind that a lot of the DX modules (mainly the 100 and 200mw) are extremely underspec, even though they are cheap.

Oh thanks! I like the odicforce hosts. How easy is it to convert those DX modules to have a spring instead of leads? DX doesnt sell greenies with spring contacts!

Oh. Well, you can do one of two things: You can remove the leads and solder on your own spring, or you can buy a module that comes with a spring instead.
You can get a module with a spring at a lot of places (I don't know why the DX ones come with leads) such as Odicforce, O-like, Rayfoss, Lazerer, and Ebay.
To get a spring, you can buy 5 for $1 here, or you might be able to desolder one off of some old electronic junk. Instructions for taking apart a 5mw pointer and getting the spring are here.

I think you cant use those two from dealextreme. A green module with driver(with spring) is too long to fit your 10440. I wont bet, but i think it doesnt fit.
And btw, if you plan using a high power module, you shouldn´t use the stainless steel host cuz it sucks pulling the heat from the module. With 50mW wont be a problem though.

Oh. Well, you can do one of two things: You can remove the leads and solder on your own spring, or you can buy a module that comes with a spring instead.
You can get a module with a spring at a lot of places (I don't know why the DX ones come with leads) such as Odicforce, O-like, Rayfoss, Lazerer, and Ebay.
To get a spring, you can buy 5 for $1 here, or you might be able to desolder one off of some old electronic junk. Instructions for taking apart a 5mw pointer and getting the spring are here.
Thanks! So I don't need to do anything else to get the positive contact?? And btw, these modules are 62mm long without a spring, whereas the o-like one is 61mm. Although I'm not sure if that includes the spring or not, I imagine it does.
Oh, btw Luxor, I was actually planning on using a 10280 battery for that host. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! So I don't need to do anything else to get the positive contact?? And btw, these modules are 62mm long without a spring, whereas the o-like one is 61mm. Although I'm not sure if that includes the spring or not, I imagine it does.
Oh, btw Luxor, I was actually planning on using a 10280 battery for that host. ;)

Oh, I did not know that battery xP

No, the module length measurement only is from the top of the lens to the bottom of the board.

As far as I know, the positive goes through the case on almost all hosts, and almost all of those have a piece that serves to connect the positive to the case.