Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX laser module question

Hi i just received a 20mw green module from dx. Its one that has the driver attached. It looks like the negative wire somehow broke off in shipping. It looks like it came from clear in the back of the driver in the middle? It it ok just to solder this back on? and how heat sensitive is this??

As long as you don't hold the soldering iron on the driver for too long you should be fine

Ok Thanks! Is there any way to strip a wire without a wire stripping pliars? :undecided:

Not sure how that would work.. I took a knife and sliced into the wire a bit the long way then peeled the wire back and cut the rubber off. then twisted the strands together.

Well I got the module, battery pack and switch wired together and it doesnt turn on.... I soldered the battery pack negative wire to the module negative wire and the positive wire of the battery pack to one post on the switch and the positive wire of the laser to one post of the switch. Its a 2aa battery pack and button switch from RS. I only had one new battery and the other battery was out of a kids toy but not dead that i know of.. Does anyone know what the problem might be?? Its probably just a junk module.. Its a 20mw green I got from dx for like 9 bucks so its not a big loss just kinda disappointing when you wait a month to get it.....

lman

Well I got the module, battery pack and switch wired together and it doesnt turn on.... I soldered the battery pack negative wire to the module negative wire and the positive wire of the battery pack to one post on the switch and the positive wire of the laser to one post of the switch. Its a 2aa battery pack and button switch from RS. I only had one new battery and the other battery was out of a kids toy but not dead that i know of.. Does anyone know what the problem might be?? Its probably just a junk module.. Its a 20mw green I got from dx for like 9 bucks so its not a big loss just kinda disappointing when you wait a month to get it.....

The driver already has a button built in you need to short the bottom left and top right connections on it.

Last edited:
Ok in other words i need to solder a small wire across the two? EDIT. Thanks a lot! I got it to turn on at least by pushing the small button you told me about!!

Last edited:
Ok Thanks!! Yeah i usually just get a drop on the tip of my iron and just touch it. :D

You bet! Right now the challenge is finding some small wire! Lol Since this is my first DIY laser I dont have a lot of stuff lying around..

lman

You bet! Right now the challenge is finding some small wire! Lol Since this is my first DIY laser I dont have a lot of stuff lying around..

Are you doing a lab laser or a handheld?

Yeah I know. I didnt want to spend 40 bucks on a module if it wasnt goin to work anyway so i wanted to buy a cheap module and see if i could finish it..Total project cost about 15 dollars. :D I have a 50mw laser that burns a bit. I want to build a 300mw red soon that will hopefully be a burner.