Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 5mW Violet question.

Because I'm aware that violet beams are not highly visible, I'm going for an inexpensive violet pointer in the 5-ish mW range since even a higher-powered one isn't going to be highly visible unless I'm willing to pay many hundreds.

So I was looking at the DealExtreme 5mW Violet pen, and it looks like a cheap plastic piece of crap. Anyone have an opinion on this item? Are there any 5mW Violet alternatives to this that are better-constructed and possibly from a more reputable company? A slightly higher price is fine. Just looking for something that isn't going to fall apart when I set it down on a soft pillow.

Just have a cheapo PHR build made for you by one of our experienced builders here on the forum, and the price is the same no matter what mW you want up to around 120mW...

5mW of 405nm will be barely visible, higher powers are not very visible either, but 5mW of 405nm is almost invisible, lol....
I have 420mW of 405nm and even that isnt very bright compared to other wavelengths.

A PHR is a 405nm laser diode, and is very cheap, around $8. Look in the buy sell trade section of the forum for some already made ones that may be selling cheap, or the laser pro shop. If you look around enough you will find some good builders that will help you out.

Yep, I saw that one. Just a little wary that nobody seems interested in such a low price. Definitely interested though. What would be the best section of the forum to look for a builder?

Our builders do not really advertise their services due to legal ramifications, but you can tell easily who is a builder, then just send them a PM and ask if they would help you out. Try to gain peoples trust as well, and learn the basics of lasers and DIY so you know what you are asking for.

Because I'm aware that violet beams are not highly visible, I'm going for an inexpensive violet pointer in the 5-ish mW range since even a higher-powered one isn't going to be highly visible unless I'm willing to pay many hundreds.

So I was looking at the DealExtreme 5mW Violet pen, and it looks like a cheap plastic piece of crap. Anyone have an opinion on this item? Are there any 5mW Violet alternatives to this that are better-constructed and possibly from a more reputable company? A slightly higher price is fine. Just looking for something that isn't going to fall apart when I set it down on a soft pillow.

First- welcome to LPF-may I suggest you post a 'get acquainted' thread in the welcome section- we like to hear a bit about you- where from- what you do-age etc.

Most lurk here for months or even years before becomimg members- tons of info- asked and answered questons there and at Sam's FAQ- (to many of us HE is the godfather).

On the BR pointers- none that I have seen are plastic- most are over-spec and considering the giant price drop in recent years( my first one in 2008 cost 140$/feebay) go for it.

I have been very happy with 'etimeshop' BRs on Feebay- quick ship(for china) and most around or over 30mWs--search and read about duty/rest cycling- or chance killing a laser or two. Get some good protection for your eyes before anything else- should you end up not needing them the are easy to resell here, if you take good care of them. If you want to DYI Jayrob and others have excellant kits.

READ the stickies and use the search before you ask any questions--

be safe-enjoy the forum- get ready to be addicted to lasers. They are like Oreo cookies and Lays potato chips-one is rarely enough!!!---Len

The DX 5mW blu-ray pointer is a great laser, watch my youtube video on it:

Yeah 5mW of 405nm is very dim. In the day light you may not even see the dot 5ft away. I have a 30mW 405nm pointer and I can barely see that during the day. If you're in the dark and your eyes have adjusted to the dark you'll be able to see it quite clearly and if you point it at a piece of white paper (it will fluoresce and turn blue) it will seem quite bright.

The brightness depends on the conditions present when you perceive the beam.

daguin and Jayrob both make great builds. Drop them a PM and maybe they'll help you out. Expect to pay anywhere between $80 - $120 for a PHR build. For long life I recommend that you request it to be no more than 90mW or 75-80mW would be even better. That way it will last you a long time. Trust me you wouldn't notice a difference of 20mW or so. I can just barely tell the difference between my 240mW and my 90mW lasers. 80mW should light matches and cut tape when it's focused to a small point.

-Tony

Yeah 5mW of 405nm is very dim. In the day light you may not even see the dot 5ft away. I have a 30mW 405nm pointer and I can barely see that during the day. If you're in the dark and your eyes have adjusted to the dark you'll be able to see it quite clearly and if you point it at a piece of white paper (it will fluoresce and turn blue) it will seem quite bright.

The brightness depends on the conditions present when you perceive the beam.

daguin and Jayrob both make great builds. Drop them a PM and maybe they'll help you out. Expect to pay anywhere between $80 - $120 for a PHR build. For long life I recommend that you request it to be no more than 90mW or 75-80mW would be even better. That way it will last you a long time. Trust me you wouldn't notice a difference of 20mW or so. I can just barely tell the difference between my 240mW and my 90mW lasers. 80mW should light matches and cut tape when it's focused to a small point.

-Tony
Jayrob does not sell complete lasers, just the hot option kits--no diode...

If you want a blu ray that is more 5mW you might not be so satisfied because it is so dim. You should get a 5mW blu ray from ebay they usually output 30 - 50mW which is bright but not too bright. Not only that, it's probably the cheapest blu ray you'll find. I got mine for no more than $9!

Last edited: