Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX 35mW Green Lab Module Review (Updated 2/12/08)

Just ordered the 35mW green from DX after reading about Knimrod's huge success in pot modding his laser.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10004

I had been looking to get a green lab style laser for a while, and this laser has fit the bill quite nicely :)

General Construction: The laser overall is constructed very well, the heatsink is free from defects, and even the PCB is neat and tidy. The leads from the head to the driver board have a plastic sleeve which helps reduce stress on the wires. The power and TTL wires come pre-stripped and are ready to be connected.

Power and Beam: This laser emits a very narrow beam with good divergence, notably smaller than the beams of my Core and Executive lasers. Power output from the package (haven't tweaked the pot yet) was an average of 53mW :D

Overall it's a great laser for the money and has no problems running for 5-10 minutes at a time or longer. The TTL input works well and should be good in a scanner.

Pros: Ready to go out of the package, small powerful beam, 100% duty cycle
Cons: Beam is not perfectly straight from laser (exits slightly down)
Other Thoughts: Large power transistor on driver PCB should be heatsinked for long runs

Don't worry I didn't forget pics :p

Attachments

• gl.JPG
    gl.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 247

Re: DX 35mW Green Lab Module Review

The module as it comes packaged Hitting a tree a block away Laser comparison

Lit room, no fog DX beamshot alone Module through grating

All images are clickable thumbnails for high res versions, and in the laser comparison photo lasers from left to right are as follows: Broken bluray (only outputs 1mW), 100mW red powered by a rohm diode, 35mW DX lab module, 5mW core, and my overpowered 35mw Executive Advanced.

Heheh.. You couldn't resist.. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

FokoF

:DI ordered one, its on its way as we speak, lets pray that it makes it to me :p

FokoF

Guys please post how to mod it safely :D when you get a chance

why are there 4 leads coming out of the PB board for power there white red red blue seems odd

FokoF

TLL in Power out and Power in

FokoF

;Dit arrived!!!!!!!!!!!! but its still at the post office :mad: and im off to uni for the next week :'( aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh how poo it is :p

@kimrod
Do you beleave that the crystal set is really bigger than say in a DX50 pointer ?

I own the DX50/100 mod. and I turned it up full blast and it seems to be over .1w @ .5A current.
It has a smaller heatsink that your 35 and that has me very courious.
Note: I run from a 3.7v bat by jumpering the 2 big diodes that just helps drop the 5 to 2 volts for the pump reg circuit. You may find your circuit can be modified to make it more effecient, run on less voltage.
After all a 808 diode reg circuit should only need 2.1+.8 volts supply voltage as I assume yours is designed.

Lets us know bud.

Laserrod said:
@kimrod
Do you beleave that the crystal set is really bigger than say in a DX50 pointer ?

I own the  DX50/100 mod. and I turned it up full blast and it seems to be over .1w @ .5A current.
It has a  smaller heatsink that your 35 and that has me very courious.
Note: I run from a 3.7v bat by jumpering the 2 big diodes that just helps drop the 5 to 2 volts for the pump reg circuit. You may find your circuit can be modified to make it more effecient, run on less voltage.
After all a 808 diode reg circuit should only need 2.1+.8 volts supply voltage as I assume yours is designed.

Lets us know bud.

I haven't had the head apart so I can't cop to the bigger crystal set but that is exactly what was reported by another reviewer for this laser on the DX site. Let's just say that I'm not prepared to cast any doubt on his claim. :)

Razako

Re: DX 35mW Green Lab Module Review (Updated 2/12/

This does have an IR filter?

Razako said:
This does have an IR filter?

i put my pair of lasershades for green lasers in front of the laser and was only able to measure 2mW (some green still leaked through) so if this unit is leaking any IR it is 1mW or less

FokoF

Right just got my hands on it and WOW ;D small and powerful! lots of fun to come! Great buy.

Well, my 35mW module died last night.  It probably had over 8-10 hours run time at 100mW.  I don't think it died because of COD however..  While operating, I noticed that the output was dimmer than usual.  I went to measure the output and while placing the module in my PanaVise, the output brightened up.  I noted that "wiggling" the wires that exit the back of the module would cause the output to flicker.  At some point in the wiggling process, the output went dim and stayed that way.  All I got for output was a very weak green beam at something less than I could measure with my power meter.  A quick check of the current revealed the intended 420mA.  It's dead...  :(

In order to turn this negative into a positive, I decided to take the module apart.  The picture below shows the module after removing the 4 screws at the rear.  It's also cleaned up quite a bit as it was pretty thoroughly slathered in thermal compound.

Attachments

• DSCF0819sm.jpg
    DSCF0819sm.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 275