Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dx 20 exhibiting strange behavior

my dealextreme true 20 mw green laser is acting weird. i just got it yesterday, and when i turn it on its really bright, but after about 3 seconds it becomes dim and the dot becomes less focused. does anyone know what could be causing this and how i can fix it?

Razako

First you should try using fresh batteries in it. The batteries that dx sends are really crappy sometimes.

If that doesn't work it means that your laser has a problem with mode shifting and you need a new laser.

I have also heard that some dx lasers need a while to warm up before they operate properly. Try leaving it on for a minute and see if the beam returns to normal.

thanks! it was a temperature problem... damn new england cold.... if i leave it on for about 30 sec, it returned to normal, and if i leave it off for a few minutes, it needs to warm up again. does that sound about right?

And then there's the pushbutton switch problem with some of those.
When mine dims like that, if I press harder it brightens right up, although I hate to risk damaging the switch or other components.
If I could get it apart without tearing it up I'd replace the switch and solder a wire from that internal contact spring to the case.