Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD ROM or CD Burners

As a general rule of thumb. What drives should i harvest my diodes out of- Which laser do dvd roms hav in them and which diodes do cd burners have in them. And of course which drives are best for harvesting high power blue diodes from. Please supply LPF threads for me to reference. Thank you very much for your response.

diachi

DVD ROM drives have 5mW red diodes in them. CD burners have powerful IR diodes in them.

as for blue ( it's not really blue, it's violet ) that depends on what your budget is. You could get a PHR-803T sled / diode and use that, they can be had for less than $15 in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. They can go to powers of 110-150mW ( although the lifetime is shortened greatly at 150mW ) . You could get a 6X blu-ray burner sled / diode, they can achieve powers of 200-250mW .

-Adam

Diachi said:
DVD ROM drives have 5mW red diodes in them. CD burners have powerful IR diodes in them.

as for blue ( it's not really blue, it's violet ) that depends on what your budget is. You could get a PHR-803T sled / diode and use that, they can be had for less than $15 in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. They can go to powers of 110-150mW ( although the lifetime is shortened greatly at 150mW ) . You could get a 6X blu-ray burner sled / diode, they can achieve powers of 200-250mW .

-Adam
I think he meant DVD Burners...
Rule of thumb:

Don't waste time on CD ROM, or DVD ROM,
but waste your time on DVD Burners!
Which contain high power red diodes,
that will keep you happy and gleeful.

I know... it doesn't rhyme.