Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD laser (new to lasers in general)

I started looking at lasers yesterday and basically; I wanted to build a simple laser that will ignite matches, pop balloons etc.; you know all the fun stuff.

I like computers and circuits and I am doing A-level physics so I have a rough understanding about what I want to do, well at least I think it do :-[

My first plan was to take apart a maglite and just make a simple torch laser, then I stumbled across all these circuits and I haven't a clue why I can't just hook up a diode to a battery but apparently that wrecks them.

I found stonetek, after killing a dvd RW diode, which lead me to this. Is there anyone who could do me a massive favour and show me, or point me in the direction of, a really easy to make laser that can pop balloons and all that and doesn't cost the earth. (preferably like 100mW in power because otherwise I may as well go on ebay)

More importantly however I am interested in what all the parts in the circuit would achieve because then if I ever decide to build a more custom laser I should know roughly what to do.

Here is some stuff I already have that may or may not be useful:

-Batteries
-Wire
-soldering stuff
-an old bb gun laser sight (maybe act as a housing?- it uses three watch batteries)
-an old maglite
-I am willing to buy any other stuff like the diode but my budget is about £30 (~$60)

Thanks in advance,

Ifrgt

P.S. Sorry if that is too specific :(

Ok so I think I know what I'm going th do, the final thing is housing; I came across the 'Sony 16X Diodes Pre-Installed In Aixiz Housings' package will it do?

Also, what about switches?

chido

Wait a bit longer before you buy any diodes from stonetek, the owner SenKat got a bad batch of diodes that can't handle the same current the good ones did. Kenom said SenKat had a shipment of the good diodes coming in. So just wait some time untill everything is taken care of.
Here's the thread where someone finally finds out what the bad diodes really are:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1203515053

diachi

you dont really need that much circuitry, you really just need, the diode, a 10 Ohm resistor and your batterys

chido

diachi said:
you dont really need that much circuitry, you really just need, the diode, a 10 Ohm resistor and your batterys

You do need all that circuitry IF you want your laser diode to live a LONG LIFE. ::)

Gazoo

diachi said:

Chido is correct. Please do not give out advice unless you can back it up...thank you.. ;)

There are many reason why you do need to use a proper driver when powering a laser diode.