Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD burner... Well im pissed!

So, I came home today to find that I had a lovely little package for me. I opened it up and it was my DVD DL burner (score).

I put my little project aside and did some housework, then I came back to my project. I completely dismantled the drive to discover NO 5.6 MM DIODE!!!! This sucks! I spent $25 on a drive that I could have used, and no diode! I mean, it has diodes, but they are square, and really tiny. Not the type I was looking for!

I think god is telling me to stay away form lasers for some reason. [smiley=evil.gif]

Grrrrrrrrr...... So, does anyone know where I can get a DVD DL diode? :mad:

S

SenKat

Okay - are you SURE they are not there ? Post a pic of what you have.....you may be surprised - they are fairly standardized - BUT all is not lost - post a pic or two of what you have, so I can peek....

Go to a local computer repair shop and ask them if they have any dead DVD/RWs they would be willing to part with so you can scavenge them for hobby parts. That's where I get mine. There's all kinds of neat things inside those besides the diodes - magnets, lenses, beamsplitters...

...oh, and get several if possible. Laser diodes are EASY to pop, and you'll probably go through a few on the way to a working pointer.

T

timelord

You must be a mind reader Ragnarok because that's on the list for me tomorrow to visit the pc shop and do some scrounging. I just won't volenteer info as to why i want it that way the shop just thinks it clearing out rubbish ;)

Thanks Ragnarok, that is a good idea. ;D

Also, here is a photo of the optical assembly...

Attachments

• DVD.JPG
    DVD.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 521
S

SenKat

Can you zoom in on the part you saw that was square ? You are SURE that was the diode ? Not being patronizing - just checking !

I see what might be a diode candidate (?) on the top edge of the assembly, looks like the gold edge of a diode, with the ribbon conductor attached to it, but I don't see any terminal pins. I could be wrong.

Before I took it all the way apart, I saw the two arias that the lenses lead too (the two diodes). When I ripped it all apart there where to little block like things where the lenses lead too (if that makes sense)

This photo is the best I could do... My camera is getting kinda old.

Attachments

• Diode.JPG
    Diode.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 214
Ragnarok said:
I see what might be a diode candidate (?) on the top edge of the assembly, looks like the gold edge of a diode, with the ribbon conductor attached to it, but I don't see any terminal pins. I could be wrong.

I looked for the terminal (since I could not find anything that looked like the diode that I was looking for) but I could not find anything... Whatever kind of diode this thing used, its not one I am familiar with...

The thing on the top edge is just a hole for a screw... I don't know why it is gold. lol.

P

Proctor

Look for ribbon cables on that assembly that have 3 solder marks in a triangle. That should be a red diode.

That one above looks like a lens assembly.

Proctor said:
Look for ribbon cables on that assembly that have 3 solder marks in a triangle. That should be a red diode.

That one above looks like a lens assembly.

There are plenty with four wires in them, but none with three.

Beefygt said:
Before I took it all the way apart, I saw the two arias that the lenses lead too (the two diodes). When I ripped it all apart there where to little block like things where the lenses lead to

I've seen rectangular devices at the ends of optical pathways in addition to the laser diodes on optical carriages I have removed from DVD burners;I think these are photodiodes or some other kind of sensing device.

Did you remove any subassemblies that might have contained a diode, from the assembly in the pic?

S

SenKat

Yeah - the diodes are wedged in REALLY tight - look at the complete exterior of the unit. They will be wedged into the metal body of the optics assembly - three tiny solder points will be the tell-tale mark....look carefully, you can easily miss them. Don't give up !!!

Who made this DVD burner ?? I've harvested several kinds and they are all pretty much the same. There's a RED diode and a nasty IR diode in there. C-mount styles are typically higher powered for disk burners.

The 5.6's are usually pressed into the alloy casting with flex circuits giong to them.

Mike