Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Duty Cycle for 1W 520

I would like to build a laser using the 1watt 520nm diode/driver module that DTR sells but I have a few questions.

I'm looking for a duty cycle around 3min on/1min off. 5min on/1-2min off would be best. How much heat do these diodes throw off?

Which brings me to my next question. Am I better off wiring up the diode to a 16mm x-drive and mounting it to a pill? Or is it ok how DTR sells it for the amount of time I want to run it.

Also I really love the polished Zasers that mcrouse sells and would like to use that as a host. Would that provide enough heat sinking?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

sinner

That'll be more than enough heatsinking, the longevity of your diode however is based on the operating current (considering 3min-1min Dutycycle)

I would recommend a 1.6amp setup (1W+)

That'll be more than enough heatsinking, the longevity of your diode however is based on the operating current (considering 3min-1min Dutycycle)

I would recommend a 1.6amp setup (1W+)

How much of a hit in longevity would I be taking if I bought the DTR module/driver as is at 2.4amps?

DTR

The X-drive with no extra heatsinking will run for 120 seconds and then needs a 20 second break. If you attach the IC to your host sink or body it can run continuously with no duty cycle. For this option you can just let me know when you grab it and I can put leads between the diode and driver instead of it connected directly to the diode in the back of the module. As for the diode duty cycle it really depends on the size of your sink and if you are using active cooling. Have not used a Zaser host but it looks pretty good in size.:beer:

The X-drive with no extra heatsinking will run for 120 seconds and then needs a 20 second break. If you attach the IC to your host sink or body it can run continuously with no duty cycle. For this option you can just let me know when you grab it and I can put leads between the diode and driver instead of it connected directly to the diode in the back of the module. As for the diode duty cycle it really depends on the size of your sink and if you are using active cooling. Have not used a Zaser host but it looks pretty good in size.:beer:

Alright perfect. Thanks DTR. It will probably be in a couple weeks, I have a few bills to knock out then I'd like to get started on this build. I'll hit you up when I'm ready.

considering the cost of these- why would you want to risk damaging this diode
or overheating the driver??
Except for a few times doing night pics with no 'helper' it is extremely rare that i ever run a hand held laser for more than 60 seconds--

I suggest you get develope the mindset that keeps you from harming your laser=--
want long runs? buy a lab laser-- why do you think labbies have such large heat sinks? & fan(s) or TEC's just for 'looks'?? --- that is just common sense IMHO--

also unless you find someone with a working crystal ball- do not ask how much pushing the duty cycle will shorten the life-span of your laser-- any answer would be pure speculation--

hope this helps----hak