Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Durable 405nm 500mW?

I'd like to have a 500mW 405nm hand-held, but have read many threads/stories about 405nm diodes in this power range going to their graves at an early age. Can anyone tell me if there is a stable and dependable pointer in this configuration? I'm thinking about picking up the "Devil Cyber 405" rated @ 500mW from Lazerer. Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Re: Durable 305nm 500mW?

Sorry, I "fat fingered" the thread title! Should have read "Durable 405nm 500mW"!
I'd like to have a 500mW 405nm hand-held, but have read many threads/stories about 405nm diodes in this power range going to their graves at an early age. Can anyone tell me if there is a stable and dependable pointer in this configuration? I'm thinking about picking up the "Devil Cyber 405" rated @ 500mW from Lazerer. Any input would be appreciated!

Yes, there are many "durable" 500mW 405nm lasers out there. If you do a little searching you'll find that blue-ray lasers actually can go up as high as 1W. 12X diodes from dual layer 12X blue ray drives are spec'd at ~500mW with a little room for durability. My 12x laser from a forum member here is spec'd at around ~700mW. Some braver members went to +800mW with very limited life.. Newer diodes for the BWR-XL drives are supposed to spec higher than the previous generation of diodes due to the fact BWXL media is to store 4-5x the amount of information as the standard format (2 layer discs).

--- Summary... you'll find that there are many 500mW BW lasers out there. You're best bet is to deal with members that can custom make a BW laser for you. Ask around. Please support our community by buying from them.
You won't be disappointed at how skillful our members are at turning out superiorly built products!
My 405nm laser was made by Daguin and is my pride and joy. It is in a rare Kryton groove host!

My suggestion is to do some searching on the forum about 12X Blu-rays and 12x builds.

Welcome to the Forums.

Last edited:

If durability/longevity are a concern for you, I would stay away from the Devil Cyber...

That's not to say that they are bad lasers, quite the contrary, but you will get a better build from forum members. The Devil Cyber also has a somewhat small heatsink.

Basically just be on the lookout for, or PM one of the members here to build you a nice 405nm laser.

If you're set on purchasing from a company, take a look at the Skylasers Group Buy which is closing in about 24 hours.

Thank you for the welcome, and for the information! I have been fairly active here, just kind of in the shadows, not wanting to start out on a bad foot!. I've bought from ScopeGuy20 (a mid-range 650 and a 532) , Infinitus (a 400mW 635nm), and Yobresal (1.4W 445nm), but I haven't seen anyone offering up 405nm builds with decent duty cycles @ a competitive price just yet. I'm hoping one will come out of the woodwork in this thread?

Thank you for the welcome, and for the information! I have been fairly active here, just kind of in the shadows, not wanting to start out on a bad foot!. I've bought from ScopeGuy20 (a mid-range 650 and a 532) , Infinitus (a 400mW 635nm), and Yobresal (1.4W 445nm), but I haven't seen anyone offering up 405nm builds with decent duty cycles @ a competitive price just yet. I'm hoping one will come out of the woodwork in this thread?

Just ask, and you'll find someone here willing to build for you. 1 Minute run time is pretty standard, unless perhaps in an all copper heat-sink with fins.

A 12X blue-ray or BDXL in an all copper sink should do 700mW for +2 minutes without issue.
The output would be extremely stable.

Failing getting anyone to build for you, you could build your own..

I'm in the very early learning phase of lasers - would there be a substantial difference in duty cycles between the HL and PL models of the 405nm 500mW? Additionally, I see in that thread that Sky Lasers tend to come in over spec. Would one of the above be more likely to be over spec than the other?

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your knowledgeable input - I don't want my lack of experience in these items to lead me to a wrong choice! :)

Just ask, and you'll find someone here willing to build for you.

Failing getting anyone to build for you, you could build your own..

To my own failing, being quiet and watching to learn what is acceptable and what is not here at LPF. I've not made numerous posts thus limiting my post total and rep value! This keeps me from posting a "Builder wanted" thread in the BST section! lol

As far as building my own - I DO want to go down that road, but I have extremely limited knowledge of electronics. I've always been more of a mechanical kind of guy (many years in the aerospace machine trades). Besides, my hands shake like a leaf!!! lol I'm not sure that this is a good trait for tedious soldering?

The PL is more likely to come in overspec, and it is also more to be ok for longer run times. The same diode is used in both though.

About needing 20 posts, you'll get there shortly... most builders here won't mind a PM though.

Besides, my hands shake like a leaf!!! lol I'm not sure that this is a good trait for tedious soldering?

Nope, definitely not. Many people have the same problem though. My hands are very fast, but when it comes to fine work, that requires a lot of precision, I'm the worst person for the job, and have killed two lasers as a result.

Ok....I opted for the HL405nm 500mW, and a LP532nm 150mW with the free "flash 635nm 20mW" ummmm.....whatza flash laser? :wtf:

JLM

You have excellent lasers:drool:; why you don’t put all in your signature?;)

Really? You think so? *looking for the "blushing" smilie*
Well then!!! Let's give'er a try!

Once the shipping phase of Offroad's SkyLaser GB has completed I'll add three more! :wave: