Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

droped green laser pen.light gets bigger the more it travels.

I got this green laser sticker says it is a 10 mW.the other day my cousin knocked it out of my hand and it fell about 5 feet onto tile. Ever since then it hasnt worked right the dot is alot larger and the farther I aim it the bigger it gets. The dot is surrounded by a larger circle that is specked. If I rotate the laser pen in a circle it sometimes gets dim. After I dropped it it would rattle. when I took it apart there was a clear piece loose, its the piece in the middle of the pic. What can I do to fix this?

image shack shrunk the image original is 6mb. dont know where I could host it.

here is the best pic I could get of the dot.

1. Optics are dirty
2. Expander lens is knocked loose.

You should use a compressed air can to clean the lenses. And re-attach the lens (on top of the crystal heat-sink) using a 2-part epoxy. Be careful not to touch the surfaces of the lens. Finger oils are bad for optics.
When/if you re-attach the lens, you need to make sure alignment is good. If the lens is off center by a tiny fraction of a millimeter, the beam will shoot off at a large angle.

ok thanks. I already bought a new one just wanted to see if there was anything I could do.

mfo

ok thanks. I already bought a new one just wanted to see if there was anything I could do.

You could technically take out all of the crystals and have a nice IR pointer, but it would be unfocused and probably suck at burning. Plus it would be dangerous and bleh.

why is it I sometimes see red if looking at opening of the laser when its on?

It should be relatively easy to glue that lens into place. Just take care about the IR, if you see red your seeing dangerous amounts of IR. If you don't know where your IR is going, you're taking a risk.