Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New drivers by me testing and suggestions thread.

Giannis_TDM

There were too many updates to add to the original so we start off a clean slate:
There are 4 drivers currently in development at different stages:
3A buck:
Tests of the prototype v1 board:
Testing conditions:
Oscilloscope: Rigol DS1054Z recently calibrated
Input: 12.1v coming from a PS3 SMPS
Output load: 3 rectifier 3A rated silicon diodes drawing 1A at 2,25v
20M bandwidth limit, Rigol PVP3150 probe used with a ground spring set to 1x
98milliohm sense resistor.
P-P voltage output waveform:
unknown.png

Current ripple waveform measured across the sense resistor:

unknown.png

Rise:
unknown.png

Fall:
unknown.png

3A Boost:
Status: Canceled, Maybe looked into the future( Reason of cancellation: Underperforming prototypes due to issues with the main IC)

1A 7mm x 12.8mm Boosts:
Testing results:
Testing conditions:
Vin 4v from a 18360 vapcell brand
Vout 12.1v 121mA
20M bandwidth limit, Rigol PVP3150 probe used with a ground spring set to 1x
1.68ohm sense.
Output voltage ripple (equivalent to less than 0,1% ripple)
unknown.png

Output current ripple: (Measured across the sense 1.2mA p-p current ripple.)
unknown.png

Rise:
unknown.png

Fall:
unknown.png

1A 7.7mm x 11mm Bucks:
In design.

Last edited:

gazer101

Sorry for the stupid question but which drivers are rectangular and which are circular?

Giannis_TDM

Sorry for the stupid question but which drivers are rectangular and which are circular?
For now all rectangular, I can make circular versions for each if there is enough demand for them. But for now rectangular will suffice. I mean
Do you really need circular drivers when these can already fit inside the pill? My 1A boost can fit inside the pill with ease cause it's only 7mm wide and 12.8mm long, This also holds very much true for the 1A bucks. If there is enough demand for circular versions of my 3A boost and buck, I will develop such versions too. Note: By 1A and 3A I am stating the max current, Of course, the current can be set to a whole lot of other values. and also both of my small drivers and my 3A buck include reverse polarity protection. Such an option for the 3A boost is in consideration.

Giannis_TDM

Yes we need the round drivers
No, we need drivers, Low current high current small big more features, For now, we need drivers. As promised you will get round drivers of my design in the future but not now. Ironing out my drivers and delivering fully functional individually tested units is my main priority now. I will not deliver any driver to any customer that does not meet or exceed my standards. When a design is Ironed out and every characteristic is checked I can then move on to making different versions of the same design without changing the fundamental components or having to do extra prototyping runs. That's why I am developing rectangular ones first. See what would you prefer? Me making the drivers run by run and using the little profit margin that I make to help develop and Iron out more designs together with making different versions of a design I.E. circular or any other shape or form factor. Or me taking a year or so more gathering every penny so I can release 10 drivers of different shapes and sizes that are not completely ironed out and would most likely present issues?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You can't tell the customer what they need. I wasn't saying to make them now but to consider their importance. They are just as needed as the rectangular versions. I perfectly aware of the fact that you need time developing and ironing out the issues.

You can't tell the customer what they need. I wasn't saying to make them now but to consider their importance. They are just as needed as the rectangular versions. I perfectly aware of the fact that you need time developing and ironing out the issues.

I have had good results driving laser diodes with round led driver, some I have been told are not clean enough and could reduce longevity but so far I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of except you can see the pulses when operating in low and medium range but high range after a quick ramp up is typically steady on.

----edit----

This works well for nubm44,08,0A
When you click the drop dowm menu you can choose 1 mode or multiple modes and the current limit, this one gives you 4.5A with up to 6V which is great but you can select other current limits.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
17mm Is what I need most of all. I want to start selling kits soon but not in a few more months. I gotta figure a few things out first with my finances but eventually I plan on listing a few just to start. I have some basic hosts that will probably be the common sellers based on past business since I've been around and a few with more advanced options like built in usb chargers. I also got some hosts that have leds on the sides so you can mount a laser and have light all in one.

Giannis_TDM

17mm Is what I need most of all. I want to start selling kits soon but not in a few more months. I gotta figure a few things out first with my finances but eventually I plan on listing a few just to start. I have some basic hosts that will probably be the common sellers based on past business since I've been around and a few with more advanced options like built in usb chargers. I also got some hosts that have leds on the sides so you can mount a laser and have light all in one.
Ok then! I will start designing a 17mm driver based on my tested 3A buck driver for ya asap! It's the only design that is mostly ironed out.

MurphyMurph

That's cool to see someone designing drivers! 20mm is the most common diameter that I've used.

Giannis_TDM

Bump nub 3: I will be selling 3 17mm dia limited edition individually tested with test reports after dark 3A buck v2 drivers and 5 1A boost at approx Feb 7 if all goes well without delays. Prices are 25$ for the 3A bucks and 20 for the boosts + 8$ tracked shipping Or 5$ untracked up to you!

I have had good results driving laser diodes with round led driver, some I have been told are not clean enough and could reduce longevity but so far I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of except you can see the pulses when operating in low and medium range but high range after a quick ramp up is typically steady on.

----edit----

This works well for nubm44,08,0A
When you click the drop dowm menu you can choose 1 mode or multiple modes and the current limit, this one gives you 4.5A with up to 6V which is great but you can select other current limits.

Giannis_TDM

Just a little note about round vs square drivers. DO what you want but consider this.

Many of those making requests for round drivers are from newer members only on a few months.

It might serve you well to Go with what the veterans are asking for first. They have been on here a long time and will be on here for the future. New members often tire quickly of the hobby and disappear.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

Giannis_TDM

Just a little note about round vs square drivers. DO what you want but consider this.

Many of those making requests for round drivers are from newer members only on a few months.

Pay attention and Go with what the veterans are asking for first. They have been on here a long time and will be on here for the future. New members often tire quickly of the hobby and disappear.
Don't worry, I am making those 3 to quench their thirst for round drivers. My designs are rectangular by nature so they fit nicely in the back of a 12mm module. The round ones are lower on my priority list than the rectangular ones. Also seems like I forgot to note: The 1A boost will not be offered in a round format. It will be in a 7mm x 12.8mm rectangular format.