Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver VS CC PSU

EdgE

Hi ppl,

I've done a lot of searching and reading before posting this, so please bare with me if this have already been answered somewhere :/

As fa as I understand (I'm newb on LD's :can:) the driver for a LD is for protection of the LD through securing constant currency delivery to the LD.

So far so good

So, my Q is this:
If I use a bench PSU with build-in CC (constant current), would that be suffecient protection, ie does it do the job that drivers are intended to do?

If so, I understand that switch mode PSU's are more elec noisy - is a linear more recommended?
( ARGLaser: http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/first-power-supply-80274.html )

I "suppose" the ripple should be around or less than 1.5mv?

I bought a pigtailed Coherent LD 2W 835nm, 2.8-3 V. at 1.5 A and intend to use it with a PSU for smaller engraving.
Would be very nice to just be able to connect the PSU and be ready to go :)

Also, in near future I'll be building the "pocket CNC" (using other LD's) in which Arduino control circuits will be used - so I'll be going for a 2-output PSU

Thanks in advance!
Great day to you all
:bowdown:

Linear and switching are both good enough. Some cheaper supplies don't settle into current mode immediately on power up and there is a spike associated with that. If you're not sure of the quality of your supply, make connections with voltage setting at zero and start the power supply with the voltage at zero.

A word of advise, IR diodes have poor beam quality because of the large die. Your engraving will not be very precise. Also, few materials will absorb NIR well.

EdgE

Thanks for your answer Cyparagon,

Starting low (0) on V. was my intention anyway :)
I'll play around with the pigtail, the engraving I'll use this for does not have to be precise.

For the "pocket CNC" I have other LDs.
Also, I'm thinking of putting those in an Aixis body and use collimators for concentrating the beam.

Should I understand you general answer to as
- It's OK to just use a CC PSU with no driver
- 'cos the PSU takes all care of current regulating?

Thanks for your time :)

Thanks for your answer Cyparagon,

Starting low (0) on V. was my intention anyway :)
I'll play around with the pigtail, the engraving I'll use this for does not have to be precise.

For the "pocket CNC" I have other LDs.
Also, I'm thinking of putting those in an Aixis body and use collimators for concentrating the beam.

Should I understand you general answer to as
- It's OK to just use a CC PSU with no driver
- 'cos the PSU takes all care of current regulating?

Thanks for your time :)
I would hope that you intend to use something much more substantial for heatsinking those, Aixiz modules are not very good for drawing heat out of laser diodes. Maybe visit DTRs shop and think about getting some copper modules for those LDs.

As Cyparagon mentioned, many of those CC bench supplies will output spikes when turned on, some will even spike with the voltage turned all the way down to zero when turned on. be sure to check before connecting to your LD.

Bob