Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver question

Hi, I'm familiar with cheap DX 50mW modules. But they can only accept 3 volts. They cant even accept an 18650.

For my next new flashlight build, I want to make a triple LED Maglite with a 50mW laser in the middle. The laser has to be directly powered by the batteries in the Mag (9~36 volts), Otherwise it'd have to be wired into a custom driver and I don't want to spend hours and hours making it to accommodate the LED's and the laser.

Is there a 532nm 50mW module with a driver that can accept at least 9v to accommodate two li-ion cells?

Last edited:

A DDL driver for example rckstr driver can run up to 12v... but be aware that excess voltage will be burnt off in the form of heat. What current are you looking at? If the current is out of the range the only alternative is custom driver. rckstr drivers use this formula to figure out the min voltage needed to power the laser.... its 2.5v + laser diode forward voltage.

Hope that helped -Adrian

i had this same problem and the highest i could find was a module that took 4.2v or a single lithium battery (it was at laserlands.com i think, theyre new green module they designed).

You could use a series of diodes running to the module to drop the voltage down.

nah it only produces a small amount of heat as long as you stay in manufacturer ratings. the battery loses no power only voltage...