Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dragon lasers power measurement question

jhn

Im sitting here at work, excited because my beam expander from dragon laser should be arriving today.

I bought the spartan 1w a while back. It was my first high power laser, and I was very impressed with it.

Now, I know the spartan cant be focused, while there are other 1w lasers on the market wich are sold with a built in focusing mechanism, and that brings up my question:
If I measure the spartan after I put in the beam expander, will it measure significantly higher?

I know the expander sacrifices some power, but will it measure higher because its focused? Can anyone with a spartan, beam expander, and an lpm shed some light? (Lol)

if you have the new beam expander please post pictures of it. I also have a Spartan and the original Dragon Lasers beam expander but very interested in their new one

Last edited:
Focus has nothing to do with power and technically your laser is focused, its called fixed focus. Its a multimode diode, you don't want it unfocused, beam would be horrible

jhn

Ah. Thats not what I was hoping to hear.
So if you take a focusable laser and focus it to a pin point, Then de-focus it a little, it'll still read the same on a power meter?

Take the lens off and it will still read the same as with a lens.......it WONT change (actually take the lens off and it will be a little higher since lens cut down some of the output)

the beam expander should still allow the "fixed" focus to be focused at set distances. right??

jhn

IMG_1236.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

jhn

I don't know how well the first expander was built, but this leaves a lot to be desired. It's basically lenses attached to threaded tubes. Screwing the tubes all the way in will give you your maximum focusing distance. Unscrewing them as much as you can will give you closest focusing distance (last pic). Closest focus distance seems to be just over 2 feet.
It is not elegant, but it does it's job.

Did you buy the adapter for the Spartan or perhaps the universal adapter? Thanks for the pictures by wanting to see the new expander

jhn

Bought Spartan adapter. Got the universal too, in case it fits future lasers I might get.
Still playing around with it. The lenses were very, very loose. After tightening them up, the dot can be focused much better.

I am happy with it. Have a few gripes, but I can live with it. Still need to play with it a lot more. Already dried up my batteries testing it.

Thank you very much, probably will order one myself

Update : Just ordered one last night

arrived 3-4-2014 :)

universal adapter looks promising

IMG_20140304_130443_662.jpg

Last edited: