Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dpss

Hi people does anyone know what the power of the ir diode in a 5mw green laser thanks all the best ADE

Thanks for the reply are they easily colmanated I want to use it for an illuminater for my night-vision arnt ade

They are somewhat easily collimated, yes.. you can do fairly well with just an Aixiz lens..

IR laser diodes, especially a 200mW one, are not very well suited for lighting a large enough area for night vision. At the most you will just have a IR spotlight. IR LED's would work a lot better for you.

It hasn't got to light up a large area it just needs to be like a tight spot say a5 foot circle at 40 to 50 yards the illuminators on the market are about 150 pounds an I have built a few lasers an thought it would be a cheap alternative all the best ADE

You don't have to mess a working laser for that. A 780nm diode from an old 40x CD writer will be enough. For some reason my camera gets better that 780nm than those 808nm used to pump dpss'

Iv done it all I have done is use one of those cree zoom torches as a host it had packed in and took the internals out of the pen took the cristal off replaced the lens drilled a hole through the star for the laser housing to fit into powered it with a cr123a an compared to my mates illuminator its not much different apart from 120 pounds an I paid 3.99 an a bit of work atb ADE

Um, you'd still need a driver or you'll have a dead diode in a hurry.

He would get it out of a cheap green, and even the cheap greens have drivers.

Use LEDs. LEDs are safer and more robust with a much better beam profile.

I'm using the driver from the pen mate an its spot on for what I need an I dare say its better than my mates add on laser