Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dpss vs diode

Abray

i just read a thread about why red lasers aren't as powerful, and it said basically because they were diode, and not dpss. and diodes have a limit while dpss's limit is higher?

what exactly is a dpss laser?

and are red ones just as expensive as green ones?

or even more expensive?

thanks for any help

Green lasers are way more expensive because they have crystals and stuff to make Near IR to green.

I think DPSS means diode pumped solid state. I THINK!! I might be wrong on that. I don't hear much of it around here.

yes you are right.
the reason DPSS laser IR diode can go so much higher is becaus it is multi mode and not single mode like most dvd burners. this means that if you just had the ir diode with out the crystals you would have horable beam specs while the single mode would be awsom. but when you add the crystals it somehow makes the beam specs better and can be focesed better

Switch

I thaught that DVD diodes were multimode, hence the bad beam specs....
Or are the beam specs even worse on a multimode diode? :-?

It's a Nd:YVO4 (Neodymium-doped yttrium orthovanadate) laser pumped with a multimode laser diode. Have you noticed YAG lasers don't have "beam" specs of the flashlamp that pumps them? the pump is just a means of sending energy to the lasing medium, whether it be vanadate, glass, or jello. That's why DPSS and diode lasers are very different.

Things

SOME dvd diodes are multi mode, lik the dual layer high speed one i think. But yeah, any multimode diode will have crap beam specs.

That's what we need - a Jello laser!
Hmm - How to partially silver one jello-facet?

Abray

so the dpss has more than one part, one that pumps it and provides the power (i think?) and one that makes the actual beam?

while the diode is the whole thing that only has the one part?

Gazoo

Switch said:
I thaught that DVD diodes were multimode, hence the bad beam specs....
Or are the beam specs even worse on a multimode diode? :-?

I have yet to run across, or read about any DVD burner diode being multimode. The beam specs for multimode diodes are terrible.