Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DPSS Expansion Lens

Pulled a rookie mistake..... Sad story and need help.

So i bought my first decent DPSS module for Lazerer. FYI, to anyone reading this... very high build quality and great communication.

In messing with it and checking out how these are constructed I found that the output right next to the expansion lense is much more powerful than that of the beam after the columinating lense. Problem is while messing with it, got some sort of schmeg on the lense.... AHHHHHH! Apply palm to forehead in homer simpson DOH moment.

Anyway, tried cleaning the expansion lense with a microfiber cloth with a q-tip stick behind it to be able to push into the concave part of the lense.... AHHHHH things are getting worse. And WORSE.... AND WORSE!!!

Well, after multiple attempts at cleaning it, i've managed to get a beautiful and completely useless galaxy splatter pattern out of my module now.

So am I screwed? Max applies this lense with some sort or epoxy, so didn't want to mess with removing it until someone directs me on what to do.

lman

Apply palm to forehead in homer simpson DOH moment.

images

got your pic:D

JLSE

You cant just remove and replace that lens... You will need a replacement lens, 808nm
protection goggles, quick set epoxy and some patience.

That expander is almost as difficult to set up as realigning the crystals.

When the beam enters that lens, it is that lens which makes your final output beam
straight or crooked. It takes a fine touch to replace these.

Also, to remove it in the first place, you run the risk of breaking loose the
crystal set, as they are both epoxied in place, and in many cases will break
off together.

If you paid a lot for it, i'd suggest getting the cheapest greenie you can find, 5mW or the like
and use this to harvest your new lens. If it wasnt all that expensive, buy another
and use this one to experiment and learn.

Though 808nm IR protection is needed, as your eyes will be exposed to IR light
when lining up the new lens.

:beer:

fortunately the YAG crystal is set a little ways away from it (or at least a gnats hair or two).

I've got a $20 "100mw" ebay pointer (ha! suuuurrree 100mw) that the expansion lense looks to be made of plastic.... think it will hold up? Max uses a glass lense.

What do you think happened to it, the lense appears to be fine. the epoxy is still firmly in place....

The IR shenanigans has got me freaked out, i've been messing with it some with the module dissasembled and now i'm not gonna touch the dang thing until i get the right pair of goggle.... Insert above graphic of homer once again.

JLSE

Try cleaning it again with alcohol and clean cotton swabs. Make one pass
with the cotton, then use a new one. You dont want to drag any dirt
or debris around which can scratch the lens.

Most of these expanders are acrylic, and can be replaced with acrylics..
Your only issue to be careful with is the IR. Even a 5mW green 532 is pumped
with 250-300mW of 808nm NIR.