Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Double post

Things

The problem is Avery does not really like installing plugins. He's been bitten in the ass by them before, so he's cautious. If you make a double post, you shouldn't be because you can edit your first post, but if someone else makes one and doesn't fix it, I usually go around and merge them, and I think the other mods do too.

daguin

The problem is Avery does not really like installing plugins. He's been bitten in the ass by them before, so he's cautious. If you make a double post, you shouldn't be because you can edit your first post, but if someone else makes one and doesn't fix it, I usually go around and merge them, and I think the other mods do too.

I usually try to get the member to do it first. If they learn, I don't have to watch for it as much and members won't get negged for doing it.

Peace,
dave

Morgan

Quick question regards double posting...

At what point does a double post become a bump?

Sometimes you leave out vital information from a post or have new info to add at a later point but if the post has been read, but not replied to, I sometimes am in the quandry as to editing or posting again. My reasoning is that if it's been read but not replied to, a member could come back to it after another post and miss the edit. If that makes sense? Also, editing will not move the thread in the section main page so noone is aware more info may have been added, (at least I don't think it moves the thread?)

It doesn't seem to be an issue and if I do appear to double post it is not immediately, there is usually a fair pause between them.

Am I being overly sensitive?

Thanks.

M
:)

Valid point- I have edited my OPs and than got questions as it did not get re-read. And if I add a post at the bottom to-see edit in OP== I feel like I am dble posting. Or posting without reason. Its good that members often point out , in a friendly way, that the edit method of adding more is the way to go.

The link to 'Posting on Forums' tutorial is great- and funny to watch too

-it should go out automatically to all newbies.

This was the first 'real' forum that I got serious about and I commited a lot of mistakes and sometimes still do.

Thanks to all who helped me.

hk

My laptop is a good 50 feet across the house from the wireless router. My connection to the net picks up and drops off constantly. Keeping a good connection is difficult, so sometimes when I post a reply, I lose the connection, and by the time I get reconnected I'll go back to the thread to look and find that my post got put up twice.

So sometimes,technology just goofs up. When this happens, I think a double post plug-in would be nice, because I feel like an idiot leaving these deleted doubles all over the place.. and sometimes I just feel like an idiot regardless. Is there a plug in for that??

daguin

Valid point- I have edited my OPs and than got questions as it did not get re-read. And if I add a post at the bottom to-see edit in OP== I feel like I am dble posting. Or posting without reason. Its good that members often point out , in a friendly way, that the edit method of adding more is the way to go.

The link to 'Posting on Forums' tutorial is great- and funny to watch too

-it should go out automatically to all newbies.

This was the first 'real' forum that I got serious about and I commited a lot of mistakes and sometimes still do.

Thanks to all who helped me.

hk

When I have to update an OP (it happens a lot in FS threads), I usually will also include just the new info in a new post, which results in a "bump." Also, if the "double posts" are days apart, no one much cares. The posts should be different and hopefully "add" something, but sometimes it is just a bump.

My laptop is a good 50 feet across the house from the wireless router. My connection to the net picks up and drops off constantly. Keeping a good connection is difficult, so sometimes when I post a reply, I lose the connection, and by the time I get reconnected I'll go back to the thread to look and find that my post got put up twice.

So sometimes,technology just goofs up. When this happens, I think a double post plug-in would be nice, because I feel like an idiot leaving these deleted doubles all over the place.. and sometimes I just feel like an idiot regardless. Is there a plug in for that??

If the posts are identical, everybody understands that it was some sort of posting "glitch." We would still like one of them to be deleted, but no one should care about this scenario. We have virtually all experienced this. No one thinks you are an idiot for it.

Peace,
dave

I never miss a meeting of the idiots club and I never see Meatball there.

I use another forum and it is a gaming forum. Double posts are rare because there is a 10 second post delay meaning you will double post alot less and it also reduces spam.

Another reason we have a post delay is because there are thousands of people online daily so it does help with spam.

Maybe they can incorporate something like that in? I dont know, just my 2 cents.

We should add (if possible) a setting to bump the thread on an edit. I've told people a few times to refresh the page because I made an edit and they could not read it.

I dont think anyone considers a bump as a double post.

Morgan

It would have to direct you to the edited post though. Or, indicate why the thread has been bumped. Something like, "New info". If you edited in the middle of a thread without this any reader, particularly a new reader, will not know why it's reappeared at the top of the page. Probably difficult to manage? As long as we're ok with bumps, then let's bump if we need to!

M
:)