Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dot visible through goggles?

Lokepi

Hi!

Today I got my Eagle pair 600 - 760nm OD4+ goggles, and used them while testing my 815 diode @ 370mA, which would output around 250-300mW I guess. This is the first time I use such a powerful laser, so I don't have any previous experience with laser goggles. When I tested the laser I could very clearly see the red dot (When it was focused on a a surface). Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the goggles? As you might understand, I'm worried about my eyesight, and I don't want to do anything more before I know I won't get any permanent damage. (Eye damage at my age would be devastating :/ ).

You would need to test the Laser's beam through the
Laser Safely Goggles/Glases with a Laser Powr Meter
to see how powerful the Laser "Dot" after the Glasses
really is.

You can easily see a <1mW Laser Dot with the naked
eye.

Only an LPM will confirm if the Glasses are working
properly for any Laser you are using if you have a
doubt of their safety.

Jerry

Lokepi

I'm just wondering if you should see the dot through the glasses normally, or if the dot should be COMPLETELY invisible..

The "dot" of a laser can be visible through Safety Glasses.

It depends on the Glasses and the Laser. Just make sure
your Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses are rated for your
Laser's Power and wavelength...

Jerry

DrSid

Generally you should not see the color of the laser. If you see dot in color of the goggles (Ie orange dot through orange goggles with blue laser) you are probably fine. If you see some blue, you need LPM to be sure.

Lokepi

Hmm. I do see that the dot is read through the goggles. Should I be worried? I don't think I have any eye damage yet though..

DrSid

That power would hardly damage your sight only by looking at the dot, even without goggles. Only direct beam would be dangerous.