Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dorcy Rechargeable XRE Cree - Flashlight Review

erns

I just purchased the Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE from Dorcy Direct for $43.99. There was a special, receive 20% off. I used the code HOLIDAY20. I opted for free shipping. There is another holiday special 15% off use HOLIDAY. I'm not sure if the HOLIDAY20 special is still working.

The Dorcy Rechargeable uses a nicad battery. Voltage is 4.8V, 700mAh. Before charging remove the insulator insert before using. Dorcy tells you to do the intial charge for 12 hours. After that recharge time is 4 hrs. Run time is rated for 2 hours. There is a charging port behind the reverse clickie one level switch. Just loose the tubing behind the switch.

The Dorcy comes with an AC charger and a 12V car charger. Not a bad deal for the price. I noticed on the Dorcy website that parts are offered such as another rechargeable battery if needed. Maybe you may need a spare or if your battery starts to die after using it a lot.

I pleasently surprised at the build quality. The fit is excellent, threads are smooth. I like the knurling on the battery tube, it gives some grip to the light. The Dorcy feels well balanced in my hand. I give the grade A.

I'm not sure of the finish but it's probably Type II Anodize. No flaws in the finish. I give the grade A.

The Dorcy comes apart very easy. Nothing glued!

The switch is a side one level reverse clickie. It's on the stiff side to push. Maybe it's a good thing because the switch won't be accidently activated.

The lens of the Dorcy is made of plastic and measures at 51.97mm. The thickness of the lens is 1.04mm. A Maglite UCL will fit but the lens bezel assembly will have some threads showing.

Th reflector is also made of plastic and it's a SMO. The length is 56.65mm and the width is 51.65mm. The reflector uses a gasket at the widest opening between the lens.

The color of the tint of the Cree is a cool white. The beam has the typical rings due to the SMO.

I am very surprised at the lux readings I got. It's in the same range of the Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S and the Tiablo A10 R2 I have.

DR001Small.jpg

DR002Small.jpg

DR004Small.jpg

DR003Small.jpg

DR023Small.jpg

DR010Small.jpg

Reverse view of the Cree module.

DR013Small.jpg

Lens bezel assembly. A Maglite UCL will fit but some threads will show when he lens bezel assembly is screwed down. Measures 51.65mm.

DR034Small.jpg

SMO made of plastic.

DR030Small.jpg

Length is 46.26mm. Black gasket located on the front.

DR031Small.jpg

Uses a one level reverse clickie.

DR011Small.jpg

DR016Small.jpg

DR017Small.jpg

DR019Small.jpg

Dorcy is printed on both side of the "flats".

DR018Small.jpg

Charging port located behind the single level reverse clickie. Rotate the "movable tube" counterclockwise to open. Clockwise to close.

DR024Small.jpg

DR025Small.jpg

No o-rings used in the "movable tube", so watch the water!

DR026Small.jpg

AC 100-240V

DR022Small.jpg

AC charger included.

DR020Small.jpg

12V car charger included.

DR021Small.jpg

Remove the insulator insert before using.

DR009Small.jpg

Nicad battery. Voltage is 4.8V, 700mAh.

DR008Small.jpg

Rear tailcap inside view.

DR014Small.jpg

Has the words "China" imprinted on the outside if the tailcap.

DR015Small.jpg

DR005Small.jpg

DR006Small.jpg

Size comparsions.

Left to right, Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE, Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, Tiablo A10 R2 WC

DR032Small.jpg

Left to right, Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE, Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, Tiablo A10 R2 WC

DR033Small.jpg

I also took lux readings of the lights shown above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using AW's Protected Black 18650's and AW's Protected RCR123's which were fully charged. The Dorcy uses a nicad voltage is 4.8V, 700mAh.

Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE - 22,050 lux @ 1 meter

Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, 18650 - 20,767 lux @ 1 meter

Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 18650 - 21300 lux @ 1 meter

Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 2 RCR123's - 21730 lux @ 1 meter

Note, this lux reading I got on the Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE was on the initial charge of the light. The lux reading may improve a little in time. Also use an UCL lens the lux reading should also improve. Stock plastic lens used in the lux reading.

Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE @ 96"

DR035Small.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, 18650 @ 96"

DR036Small.jpg

Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 18650 @ 96"

DR037Small.jpg

Left, Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE,     Right, Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, 18650 @ 96"

DR038Small.jpg

Left, Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE,     Right, Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 18650 @ 96"

DR040Small.jpg

Left, Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE,     Right, Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, 18650 @ 96"  Stepped down exposure

DR039Small.jpg

Left, Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE,     Right, Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 18650 @ 96"  Stepped down exposure

DR041Small.jpg

Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE @ 146' or 44.5 meters

DR048Small.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S @ 146' or 44.5 meters

DR049Small.jpg

Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 18650 @ 146' or 44.5 meters

DR050Small.jpg

Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE @ 210' or 64 meters

DR045Small.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S @ 210' or 64 meters

DR046Small.jpg

Tiablo A10 R2 WC, 18650 @ 210' or 64 meters

DR047Small.jpg

Beam shots taken against buildings. At this time distance unknown.

Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE

DR051Small.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S

DR052Small.jpg

Tiablo A10 R2 WC

DR053Small.jpg

Dorcy Rechargeable Cree XRE Stepped down exposure

DR054Small.jpg

Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S Stepped down exposure

DR055Small.jpg

Tiablo A10 R2 WC Stepped down exposure

DR056Small.jpg

erns

Re: Dorcy Rechargeable XRE Cree - Flashlight Revie

Actually I tried the UCL lens again. I guess I didn't have the reflector all the way down. All that shows is part of the o-ring.

Left, Stock lens, Right, UCL lens

DR042Small.jpg

Stock lens installed.

DR043Small.jpg

UCL lens installed.

DR044Small.jpg

I'm keeping the UCL lens in. I'll see how much of a difference the UCL lens makes in the outdoor night beam shots.

Very nice looking light! I assume it uses either a Cree Q5 or R2? The light looks hefty enough to support an SSC P7. You should upgrade it to a 900 lumen beast! :)

erns

jasonck08 said:
Very nice looking light!  I assume it uses either a Cree Q5 or R2?  The light looks hefty enough to support an SSC P7.  You should upgrade it to a 900 lumen beast! :)

Dorcy doesn't say what Bin the Cree is.

I like your reviews. :)
I'm new to flashlights, what's a good P7 thrower at DX?

erns

FireMyLaser said:
I like your reviews. :)
I'm new to flashlights, what's a good P7 thrower at DX?

When you buy a light a DX beware of a light using the P7's.

I have read that a lot of these lights are not made very good. The heat sinking is very bad. The lights will get very hot very fast. Some don't even work the first time you try to use them. I guess it's "you get what you paid for", a low price will be just like the quality. I think a lot of these lights at this price range were made very fast with no thought into it's design. They wanted to jump on the P7 frenzy by putting out some cheap lights just to get your money.

I think you are going to have to pay a higher price for a P7 based light. The more expensive lights have much more "technolgy or thought" put into the light. The heat sinking and electronics of the light.

The only P7 based light that has a resonable price but it may look expensive to you is the Minglight Epsilon ED-P72. Cost is see this post $119.00. The complete thread is at CPFMP.

I see what you mean. For me it's ok if the runtime is poor, maybe I can make it better with thermal grease? That's just no WAY I'm paying $119! :eek:

The reason I want to buy one is so I can experience it. Because I can't imagine it. ::)

I'm looking for ~$50 max, with a good throw, and some sort of regulation if possible?

What about this?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14212

erns

FireMyLaser said:
I see what you mean. For me it's ok if the runtime is poor, maybe I can make it better with thermal grease? That's just no WAY I'm paying $119! :eek:

The reason I want to buy one is so I can experience it. Because I can't imagine it.  ::)

I'm looking for ~$50 max, with a good throw, and some sort of regulation if possible?

What about this?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14212

I read the reviews at the bottom of the page. Only one said it died on him. The others said the 3 stage is kind of annoying.

I guess for the price this might be a good starter light.

Stay away fron using 4 CR123's, one person had his light go dead, might be too much voltage or heat issues. Run the light with 2 18650 rechargeable lithiums.

If you do get the light post a review so we can hear your impressions of the light.