Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dorcy jr

I have not posted much here but be assured I have been reading allot. I completed my first blu ray build today I used the Dorcy jr host with a PHR-803T diode and a Dark horse full custom heat sink. I am very happy with the end product. I have dabbled in electronics for many years as a hobby. I have made many projects using Nixie tubes along with many other electronic do dads. I built a Helium–neon laser using a tube many years ago I built the power supply and everything from scratch for that job. I am now wanting to build a greene and have made the necessary inquires.

Thank you for the wealth of information within these pages.

Thanks for hanging in there and and reading so thoroughly. You should stick around and share the wealth of knowledge you've learned with others. good community we have here.

:)

Kenom

I'm curious if you disabled the stock driver in the dorcy.

I'm curious if you disabled the stock driver in the dorcy.

I removed it and used a Flex drive 4. After the reading I did I decided not to use the on board driver just to be sure to get the most out of the 803t and possibility prevent premature damage.

Kenom

Awesome! Sorry it's becoming one of my pet peeves to see people not disabling that stock driver.

I've finished my 8X BR in a small 1 watt DX flashlight. The DrLava V4 fit easily and I'm using a single AA LiIon cell as power. That V4 is super !!!
I machined my heat sink / Aixiz adapter out of brass and it fit together well.
You got it right.

Mike

Awesome! Sorry it's becoming one of my pet peeves to see people not disabling that stock driver.

I still have a 16x red diode that is using the Dorcy Jr stock driver. It is pushing the diode at about 280mA with a 3.6ohm resister. This laser is still working fine, with many hours and old age/abuse put on it. I even strapped this laser to a 12gauge shotgun and shot at least 50 rounds through it. That laser simply wont die. :)

Kenom

OH yeah the stock driver is fine as long as that's all your using. But if your hooking it with a Lava drive as well, then it's just plain redundant.

i'm curious as to which of the 20 dorcy jr tutorials out there have instructed to completely remove the stock driver. I guess I've only seen the ones that suggest cutting the traces on the top LED PCB. Is the current capacity of that 5V stock driver too little then?

@Kenom, I'd admit to that very crime :whistle: (before I even knew that the driver existed, though)

@OP, It's really nice to see a newbie who has actually read and learned from the wealth of knowledge on the forum, rather than turning up and demanding answers without even reading the stickies, so well done to you!

i'm curious as to which of the 20 dorcy jr tutorials out there have instructed to completely remove the stock driver. I guess I've only seen the ones that suggest cutting the traces on the top LED PCB. Is the current capacity of that 5V stock driver too little then?

None. Being the frugal guy I am I decided not to waste the stock driver and bulb and have plans for them elsewhere. Thus the standard disabling of the stock driver would have been a waste in IMHO..

Kenom

@Kenom, I'd admit to that very crime :whistle: (before I even knew that the driver existed, though)
QUOTE]

This is the exact reason that most tutorials don't note it cause the stock driver is hidden where a person wouldn't think to look for it. As such, they can't account for what they don't know of. This is why I'm taken it upon myself to educate the forum that there is a stock driver IN the battery compartment not the head.

I completely remove the driver. And the inset that holds it. My enclosed modules eliminate the lava drive to spring setup.
DSC01785-1.jpg

Chuck

yup looks nice...did you machine all of that yourself?

Yup sure did:)
I like the ideal of having the drive protected inside it's little housing. Plus I'm not to keen on the spring pressing on that fragile little board. I'm making them for all my Dorcy's (8 of them). Plus I've made them for the cree and the Coleman's i have as well. The other set of tapped holes are also for nylon setscrews to help keep the drive centered and secured.
DSC01750.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01743.jpg

There are more pics here:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff252/crfultz/?start=0