Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dorcy jr driver can power flex drive??

i was looking through a thread and realised i had screwed up on a set of lasers i helped a forum memeber with...

i built a red and BR from a GGW sled for a member, and totally forgot to strip the components off the stock driver, so the stock driver is still intact on the set of dorcy jr lasers....

so basicly the flex drive is being powered by the dorcy jr driver.

i'm just curious if the dorcy jr stock driver outputs enough voltage and current to properly run a flex drive......

basicly so i know if these lasers need to get fixed.

I heard that the Dorcy driver is capable of about 800mA for the LED, but I've also read of people have under-powering problems due to the stock driver being still in tact. Best not to quote me on either, but I've read both from past threads.

Normal white-light LEDs use around 3.7V and up to 800mA, which would be enough. Except that drivers are normally constant-current drivers. This means the native driver would try to feed a possibly much higher current to the FD, but since the FD would only accept a certain current (the one set on it), the native driver would increase the output voltage up to its maximum - no idea where that is. So, in the end it's a bit chancy. Also the added driver would mean reduced efficiency.

this is just input for inputs sake. I have one of those dorcy led's and there is no driver in it. just a resistor.

@meatball.... alas, i mean no driver.(i have one but the whole project is in pieces right now) i am having a heck of a time putting it all together. i have already fired 5 phrs. scopeguy can attest to that.

daguin

I did this with my very first Dorcy. It had significant output issues.

I would get the stock driver out of there.

Make sure that they re-set the FD with a dummy.

Peace,
dave