Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dorcy Jr. Diy RED ... Please help!!!

I have been killing diodes! i have been tring to make kenoms dorcy jr. mod, and i keep fryin th diodes. I need to know what kind of resistors or capacitors to use and how to install them. None of the tutorials cover this clearly.Could someone give me some instruction or point me in the right direction? Please help LPF!!!
Thank you,
Tone1132

ummm.......... 4 :'( i dont wanna talk about it... but could you help??

tone1132 said:
ummm..........  4 :'(  i dont wanna talk about it...  but could you help??
What kinds Diodes were you using?

I built two Dorcy CR123A one using Open Can diode its 5 month old, another one using 16x DL Burner diode 2 month old which I sold to a friend, both using the Dorcy circuit.

When i made mine, i learned that the newer dorcy models have a higher current. I used a 10 ohm resistor to pull the current down and get a measurement. I then dropped it to 5 ohms and am running at about 185 ma now. hope this helps

TheMonk said:
[quote author=tone1132 link=1204517381/0#2 date=1204596536]ummm..........  4 :'(  i dont wanna talk about it...  but could you help??
What kinds Diodes were you using?

I built two Dorcy CR123A one using Open Can diode its 5 month old, another one using 16x DL Burner diode 2 month old which I sold to a friend, both using the Dorcy circuit.[/quote]

I am using 16x from stonetek

chido

How many ohms was the resistor you were you using, and when did you buy the diodes? SenKat got a bad batch of diodes some time ago, although I don't know if he's still selling them or if he got the good ones already. But anyway, these diodes can't handle the same current the normal ones can, one dude here killed his with only 180mA of current. :eek:
If you bought them recently, there's a chance they might be from the bad batch, I recommend if you get more, you should drive them at 140mA at most. Also you can always get a Phazer diode from DDL: (hurry up, you only got until Tuesday)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202669249/0
Or if you want a monster LD,  ;D  you can always get one of these DVD burners and extract the open can diode:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1202158967

Kenom

The driver in the dorcy jr. is a boost. takes the 3v from the cr123 and boosts it to 5v. anything under 5 ohm resistor and you risk the chance of blowing your diode. I'd say start with a 6 ohm resistor. should work fine.

Hey kenom, ho long would you say that this will last with a 6 ohm resistor?

Kenom

with a 6 ohm resistor this will be putting out on average of about 130mw-140mw. at this output even if it's a stonetek diode rated at the lower power (which he's no longer selling) it will last a very long time. 6 months to a year if not more.

I used a 10ohm resistor thanks to all u guys for the help! And thanks to Kenom for showing me how to check the current. It works Great! im burning away! i got about 5 people that want to buy them at work! What kind of capacitor would i use? and how would it be installed? also What to use for eye protection? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again!!

chido

Capacitor:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...+capacitor&kw=35v+capacitor&parentPage=search
Eye protection:
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Red_650nm_LaserShades-49-16.html
All you have to do is connect the negative lead from the capacitor to the negative wire going to the diode, same goes for the positive leads. Although it'd be better if you could solder the capacitor directly to the diode's pins. This is because you don't want the capacitor to accidentally disconnect from the diode, charge up with all the voltage from the batteries, reconnect again and dump all that voltage into the poor LD.

chido

Kenom said:
with a 6 ohm resistor this will be putting out on average of about 130mw-140mw.  at this output even if it's a stonetek diode rated at the lower power (which he's no longer selling) it will last a very long time.  6 months to a year if not more.
ALL RIGHT MAN, the good diodes are back up again. ;D [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

kenom, where do you get the 6 ohm resistor that you used in the video? and also, is the positive terminal of the diode where the resistor is located soldered directly to the yellow wire?