Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DONT lase your monitor.

DONT lase your monitor. [Added pictures]

:undecided:

I just got my 200mw dilda today, and was exited as hell. I pointed it at my monitor 19inch widescreen LXD flat panel monitor and bam. Around where I pointed the darn thing is like little lines exactly where.

Ill try to post pictures.

I know, I was stupid to, I was just a bit over exited ^_^.

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05214.jpg

Last edited:

Ummm...

Well...

At least this serves as a good PSA!

"Don't point your high-power lasers at anything more expensive than they were, kids."
So now you know . . . And knowing is half the battle.

Sorry to hear that, were you holding it still or moving it, and if so how fast were you moving it ?

thanks Pyro...

Just another reason to use a projector: Less susceptible to laser damage :)

Thats the exact reason I am always concerned and constantly looking for a place to put my scanner whenever I use it...

My room is like a gadget nuts heaven, flat screens on 2 walls, windows on the other which leaves me with one wall and I have the scanner setup to its widest scan angle making it pretty tricky to position anywhere good.

That's frustrating; I'm sorry to hear that. How deep is the damage? Can you see it with the display on?
Sorry to hear that, were you holding it still or moving it, and if so how fast were you moving it ?

thanks Pyro...

Well, I kinda moved it around a bit and it got worse. Its like little tiny lines, all in a spot, my camera is screwing up so sorry I can post pics. Where it is, it just shows yellow tiny squiggly lines, not too bad, but its ANNOYING AS HELL for me T_T. It doesnt show if the colors are very bright however.

Thanks for the comments, good or bad.

Ummm...

Well...

At least this serves as a good PSA!

"Don't point your high-power lasers at anything more expensive than they were, kids."
So now you know . . . And knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joe....Go Joe!

/many a Saturday mornings were spent at 6am watching G.I. Joe as a child

On topic: Ouch. Well good lesson and point taken. On that thought, I wonder what a laser would do to a CRT monitor or TV. Say....that gives me an idea. I've got a few 14-15" monitors around here somewhere...

Post pix if you can.. i would like to see what it looks like.

i have read similar threads before.

Gata

I just did this with my blu-ray about a week ago. Only I burned about a 1/4" diameter dot into the screen, my flat panel screen. Heed his advice!(or just use common sense)

Well, I kinda moved it around a bit and it got worse. Its like little tiny lines, all in a spot, my camera is screwing up so sorry I can post pics. Where it is, it just shows yellow tiny squiggly lines, not too bad, but its ANNOYING AS HELL for me T_T. It doesnt show if the colors are very bright however.

Thanks for the comments, good or bad.

What happened, did you lase that too?

:gj:

Alright here are the pictures.

The camera made it look like its not so bad, and when I got closer it made it look like it was worse than it is. I think one of the pictures showed little dots, if so they're not dots their LINES.

DSC05219.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05214.jpg

I'd rip my hair out for that $250 down the the drain. At least you can still use it. Keep the lasers away from anything expensive. A laser will ruin a camera too at least the LCD models so don't do that either. Most of all watch your eyes!!! Electronics can be replaced eyesight cannot.

suiraM

Sounds like you got lucky.

The LCD monitor is like a 300 lpi by 100 lpi grating, and if you hit it right, you will get a backscatter of beams that have the best chance of hitting you in the eye this side of cleaning the lens with the batteries in... and compared to that, losing a row/col decode transistor is nothing.

What part of "never point a laser at a reflective or transparent surface" did you miss?

For future reference, here's the simplified version:

- All transparent surfaces reflect some laser light, and refract the rest at an angle which depends on properties you will have no idea about up front.
- All non-matte opaque surfaces reflect some laser light, possibly a significant amount.
- Almost all reflective surfaces, liquids and metals are a significant laser hazard.
- Most storage media and displays are going to reflect several laser beams.
- Unintended reflections by definition hit something unexpected.
- Assumptions will always bite you in the ass, hard.
- Lasers have an essentially infinite range.
- You're not alone in that range.

I hope you were at least wearing proper goggles?

Benm

Just wondering: was the laser focussed to a pinpoint on the monitor, or focussed at infinity?

I'm sure a focussed laser would seriously damage the panel (coating, color filter, transistor, lcd cells - probably all of them), but unfocussed should be okay to a certain level of power.

Considering that - would anyone reckon it would be unsafe to use a 100-200 mW laser as an actual pointer on, for example, my lcd tv?

Like that last pic! (that sig looks vaguely familar from somewhere :D)

I hope I didn't piss you off enough to lase your monitor out of anger ;)

BTW: That camera comment was just for giggles; I wasn't being a dick. There's been way too much anger on the forum lately for me to want to contribute to it.

Last edited: