Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Donald Trump Inauguration

Crazlaser

Omg Cyp that was amazing. No words...

Their poetry slam from a few months ago was good too.

Last edited:

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
I don't know any of us fully trust that test, I said so earlier, so there smarty pants :p

InfinitusEquitas

Pretty much as expected.

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
Damn place is full of left leaning libertarian know it all's!

InfinitusEquitas

Yup, but mostly very pro 2nd amendment ones. I'm sure the fact that I'm against the death penalty, and against the war on drugs, and terror, put me quite a bit to the left. I'm against the death penalty in the US on a practical basis. The appeals process can take decades, and IMO, death is sometimes too little of a punishment for the crimes committed.

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
I'm against the death penalty because it is the easy way out and has never been demonstrated as a deterrent. I am against the criminalization of drugs simply because I believe we have the right to alter our consciousness, that the government has no place in dictating how we want to exist, think, or experience life. Although, I must also admit some drugs are extremely destructive, they are a social problem, not a criminal one. Perhaps I could make an exception for those who are clearly selling some of the harsh addictive substances but there are many some may consider being so, that I would not include on the list.

Bionic-Badger

I might like to see the death penalty applied to many "white collar crimes". The effects of some of those crimes affects so many people, and as far as deterrence, no amount of money is going to replace your life.

InfinitusEquitas

Well, there are some lines where drugs are involved, that require enforcement. If someone is selling meth, heroin, or coke, to kids under 18, frankly they should suffer a great deal. The issue I have with the death penalty, is that it is too expensive to the public in the US, and as Alaskan says, death penalty has never been that great of a deterrent.

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
Personally, I'd rather be released from suffering in jail for the rest of my life through a death penalty than being locked up until I die later.

Benm

I'd say: make that option available.

If someone is sentenced to something that will most likely end up being locked up forever (like 50 years in jail at age 50), provide a humane suicide aid. Prisons often go to great lengths to prevent inmates comitting suicide, but if they really want to, why not give the option?

I'm against the death penalty as it is, partly because of wrongful convictions. These do happen, and in some rare cases people are found innocent even decades after sentencing to life imprisonment. This could happen for numerous reasons, including improved forensic technology.

People wrongfully convicted can continue their efforts to find new evidence to prove them not guilty. People actually guilty could take the option to end their life by ingesting a tablet or something similar.

One downside could be that innocent people choose suicide if they know they aren't guilty but don't want to face decades of fighting to prove that and rather just die.

On the other hand people sentenced to death are often kept in prison for quite some time for no obvious reason - if a court condemns one to the death sentence i think it should be carried out the day no further appeal is possible.

BobMc

What is the difinition of conservative and liberal? A conservative wants to conserve that which a liberal wants to be liberated from. And what is that? The difinition of right and wrong.

Trevor

What is the difinition of conservative and liberal? A conservative wants to conserve that which a liberal wants to be liberated from. And what is that? The difinition of right and wrong.

That's... not it at all.

Trevor

Crazlaser

That's... not it at all.

Trevor
Basically a conservative is a person who holds traditional values and thinks carefully about changing things rapidly. Doesn't mean that he/she doesn't accept change but questions it and is cautious about it. Some of my friends are conservative.

A liberal thinks it's fine to throw traditional values in the garbage disposal and is open to new ideas and change. Liberals usually like to tolerate all kinds of things as long as it doesn't hurt them. Some of my friends are liberals and it kills me.

Trevor

Yes it is, think about it.

Boiling down two main political ideologies in the US solely to one being "right" and the other "wrong" is rather intellectually dishonest. Conservatives aren't the Axis of Evil nor are liberals the Paragon of Goodness.

Basically a conservative is a person who holds traditional values and thinks carefully about changing things rapidly. Doesn't mean that he/she doesn't accept change but questions it and is cautious about it. Some of my friends are conservative.

A liberal thinks it's fine to throw traditional values in the garbage disposal and is open to new ideas and change. Liberals usually like to tolerate all kinds of things as long as it doesn't hurt them. Some of my friends are liberals and it kills me.

Was it a mistake quoting me? I'm aware of the contemporary definitions of our two political ideologies in the US. Though speaking of intellectual dishonesty, your second paragraph... wow. Certainly brings the current state of hyper-partisanship into sharp focus.

Answer these two questions:

What do liberals tolerate that hurts you?
What do you tolerate that doesn't hurt you?

Trevor