Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dog and a laser

Ok so I was out in my front yard and playing with my new 40mw green laser and my neighbors black retriever was running around (I was not aware of this). Well anyways he ran in front of the beam while it was pointed toward the ground so i moved it and he ran in front of it again. So he was exposed to the beam for a little under a second each time so i figure almost 2 seconds. My question is do you think he will be ok because he was still running around for about 2 minutes after i cut the laser off and he ran back home ok. He didn't seem affected by it.

sorry thats what i meant. i would say it probably hit him in the eyes for about a 1\2 of a second before i cut it off. I cut it off as soon as it got in his eyes. thats why i'm worried.

40mW and several feet away. Plus you were shining it down
It probably did not give the dog a direct hit. My guess is the dog will be fine.
Keep a eye on him and look for signs of problems (pawing at eyes, watering eyes, etc.)
If you think you did give him a (good) direct hit, it might be best to take him to the vet ??
I never play with my animals with anything over 5mW. They are too unpredictable.

Both of my dogs chase the laser around all the time, and take MANY "accidental" hits, Never had a problem.

Usually, even if you "hit" the dog in they eye, the dogs eyes are focused down at where the laser was waiting to attack the dot.

That's no guarantee, just a general observation.

The dog will hopefully be Ok but your neighbor might be another thing--not a nice thing to do to someone elses pet-things like that will someday get lasers banned. thats my 2 cents. remember people call the police for damn near anything.

Quote--'Ok so I was out in my front yard and playing with my new 40mw green laser and my neighbors black retriever was running around (I was not aware of this).'.....................was it at night? or a REALLY small REALLY quiet black dog??... Quote 'Well anyways he ran in front of the beam while it was pointed toward the ground so i moved it and he ran in front of it again.'>>>>>>>>mmm ??/ and you had no way to turn it off until he went away??>>>>>>Quote...'So he was exposed to the beam for a little under a second each time so i figure almost 2 seconds.'....one thousand one---one thousand two.. 40 mWs... that really not just a passing flash --is it??///'......Quote .. My question is do you think he will be ok because he was still running around for about 2 minutes after i cut the laser off and he ran back home ok. He didn't seem affected by it.'.... well good that he didn't fall over quivering on the ground and had smoke coming from his eye sockets-- so he will be fine..There is the other 98 cents-I work for the SPCA== there are a lot of people who would have a problem with you IMO