Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does mA matter?

Ok I'm am buying the parts to build my first laser and am ordering this Diode and Driver and am wondering what the mA on the flexdrive is used. Can I just keep it at default and it won't matter or do I need to match a certain amount of mA with the voltage? Please help.
-Thanks in advance.

There is a dozen or so threads regarding current and setting up the driver.

Last edited:

daguin

Well, you chose your user name well.

This info is all over the forum. If you do not understand current and voltage with regard to lasers, you probably shouldn't be trying to build one.

You need to read a lot more. Start with the link in my sig. Then move on to the stickies.

Peace,
dave

Asherz

These guys have summed it up pretty well.

Hint: I=V/R

I remember tossing rings at the carnival sometime around 1980 and winning that poster.

KiLLrB

ThreadFail.jpg

Benm

Oh well, forget all that. The point is that the current (in mA) is the thing that actually matters, and that the voltage is just a result of that.

The common approach is to configure a laser driver for a given desired current, and just let the voltage do what it must to achieve that current.

The gut-feel logic behind this is that current is what produces light in laser diodes (passing electrons yield output photons). Voltage required to achieve a current is of limited importance - as long as you have enough of it to power the driver electronics and laser diode.

mdjd07

Everybody hates me on this forum. :cryyy:

You just need to use the search buttom bud...Theres so much information on here its crazy. I just built my first laser (lab style) not to long ago using the same diode you say you are using, and got about 98% of the info I needed searching for what I wanted to know