Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone sell a diy kit?

I have found post saying that ebay/amazon sell do it yourself laser pointer kits. But I check ebay and amazon and it seems that they dont really sell kits or complete laser over 5mw.
Does anyone sell a diy kit? I would like to build 1w or smaller laser maybe using a cree flashlight as a host. I want to copy someones design, maybe have some tell me what driver, flashlight, and diode to buy. It seems much cheaper to build one then to buy one.

Any ideas? Thanks

Nope not a clue - we have never heard of such things here- if we did who knows- maybe its hiding in the search??

ah.gee..

it okay if i mail it before you pay??? lol J/k you will need good luck methinks

your choice of username is itself...

its right below your name at the top of this page--

search JAD and JADD

Last edited:
Enough with the riddles and broken english. Whats wrong with the nick? They are supposed to be funny,clever, etc.
Anyways, I will do a search here. i was mainly wondering why diy kits are not available on ebay or amazon. But since you offered, i would love a 1.8w kit. I will pay once I successfully put it together

But since you offered, i would love a 1.8w kit. I will pay once I successfully put it together

No chance of anyone selling you anything then...;) There is a reasonable risk that you will kill a diode, or two, learning how to build your first laser.

Yes it is generally cheaper to build your own, but it could end up being much more expensive if you dont know what you are doing.

Hak was saying that you should search for a JAD (just add diode) kit good luck.:beer:

Last edited:

Encap

. I will pay once I successfully put it together

You are not going to get even a cup of coffee on that basis.

eBay/amazon rules don't allow lasers over 5mw to be sold--kits or otherwise.

Look in the Buy/Sell Trade section ---you can find parts, and finished lasers there at reasonable prices.

Encap. I wouldnt expect many people to make the same deal that hakzaw1 made me. But thanks for the offer of coffee

Oh, and did ebay/amazon used to sell lager kits? I have seen older post and pages where people say to check ebay.

The problem with these is kinda a legal one-- as selling a completed laser is not really 'legal' and we have had some members get letter from the FDA- and one evenn got a visit from the 'laser police' -- not kidding..

In each section there are stickies worth reading- in the tutorial setion there are all sorts of help-- but as others have told you- most FAIL at first time builds- so make it one with very cheap parts-- the pain from killing a diode or driver is less that way..what are your goals??-- just having a nice handheld DIY laser that you made or one from a builder? Both are good ways to get good deals--The list of needed equipment-(DMM- soldering station- adjustable power supply -ESD precautions etc etc are but a FEW of things you will need to know and fully understand--

You may find a 'kit' that actually is a completed laser that has been taken apart-
so when uoy get it the work needed is not much more than adding batteries..

Youtube vids (like Kipkay) often make building look super simple--

you best bet... buy a ready to use 'module' from DTR- ask him to suggest a good host for it- he will have done almoist all the soldering done which at that poiint removes the need for ESD precautions--
OR you can buy a host from JayRob- Mcrouse=Flaminpyro- just to name a few- and ask them to suggest a good module for their host-- as very few if any will sell you both- As you failed to add your info in your personal profile I doubt many wil get involved with you until you at least put uyour 'general' location in your profile. We need your full birthdate TOO!! no sales unless we know your age- be dishonest about that and you are done here forever.

BTW posts ..#7 & #8 ...were made two minurtes apart-- you double posted- no do -no do-- you could have just adding #8 to #7 using 'edit' and actually you really shouid combine these two COPYPASTA) and delete the other one. If you don't there is a chance a mod will do this for you but that is not the best way to go..

also
was your first thread an intro one in our WELCOME section??-- IF not you have entered our 'party' w/o telling the host (us) your basic info- we like to hear your goals with lasers- a bit about yourself- nothi(ng personal.. some give up their first names etc- if you are unsure just read the threads by other new-comers and use that as a guide- when you make this thread many will extend a welcome- and give you links and advice that is meant in the nicest way-- so do NOT take this the 'wrong' way... some will tell you that they live not far away- any member with a LPM will be happy to allow you to use it on your laser colllection. No location will NOT get you any invites to laser meets etc-
EVEN tho its the largest of its kind LPF is a 'family' forum- we look out for each other- we try to be nice to all at all times- we do not want to hear negative stuff- or vulgar - keep that stuff off-forum- we have many young members and setting a mature example is a goal here. Dope talk does not fly well here. Racist or ***ist 'tudes wil get you banned. We give respect when its given to us..

BEFORE you deal with anyone do your homework- check their Feedback- and rep. Avoid others brand new- or anyone else you cannot do a check on..Check memebers join date- post count and rtep score it not 100% perfect- we have had some vets go bad- but morre often its a newcomer that makes trouble..
Do not reply to Flammers, Spammers or Trolls-- make good friends and get help and advice from them via PMs rather than in the open forum-- you can get info via google search and all with ANY interest in Lasers really should spend many hours at Sam's Laser FAQ< his is pretty much our 'guru' on basic laser knowledge.

Your OP question has been asked here 397 times as of today-- do you think we want to keep giving out info you can find yrself???

...(Okay I made up that number)It could be higher--

hope this has been helpful... no need to thank me- I would raather that you send in an occasional dollar to keep LPF running... good luck to you sir!!

A needed bump to a sales thread is an exception to this 'rule'--

EDIT UPDATE :)
NOTICE I did not start a new post here--

just saw your intro thread and gave you a +5 rep bump--
maybe you should ahve saved your laser question for the proper section but sa'll good.

What's your 'day ' job-
what are your other hobbies?

we are not being nosey just trying to do our best to get a 'feel' for who you are..

ATM a few memers are in a $ bind or have grown bored with handhelds and since many are currently seling its a good time to buy--

sending a freind request--Len

Last edited:

Encap

Shady At Best:
Hak gives you some sound and good advice!

Here is a souce of no diode host kits--not inexpensive but...
If you are an International customer/not in USA they will sell you complete kits from USA which have become prohibited US to US by FDA rules and regulations.
You can buy a complete member made laser for less than the most expensive kits, however, here are some good quality no diode kits:
No-Diode Host Bundles

There are many others you can get everything needed from as Hakzaw1 has indicated.

One thing not mentioned already --you should read up on legal and safety issues in the Safety and Legal issues section of the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome! Taking apart a laser to see how it works is how i got here :D
Just a heads up, we try to avoid vulgarity, unless it is the !@@#$^ kind.
The F bomb in your sig might @#$% up your chances to gain a positive reputation. Again Welcome! We are all here to help each other with our serious photon addictions.

Welcome! Taking apart a laser to see how it works is how i got here :D
Just a heads up, we try to avoid vulgarity, unless it is the !@@#$^ kind.
The F bomb in your sig might @#$% up your chances to gain a positive reputation. Again Welcome! We are all here to help each other with our serious photon addictions.

I did not see that faux pas but super that SAB removed it--

while not really next door both of you are in California-but like TX-- shes a big ass state- drive all day and still in the same state--lol

I figured by now a DIY Kit' seller would have posted here the OP may have to contact a seller of all the parts -- taking care to only buy whats correct..

If Canjun lasers was still around that is where I would have sent the OP.

BUT there are others--

OP-- actually MAYBE you should place a WTB thread in the BS &T section as 'General' is not the best location- that will not be considered a double thread IF you link the new one to this one saying its been moved--

Maybe you should try SURVIVAL LASER, Gary is a pretty good guy and will help you out I'm sure he has all the parts.

Last edited:
well there you go OP_ Jeff is right on with his suggestion-- and he should know having made so many from raw stock- himself--
I ditto his advice!!

EDIT- whoa)) scary!! 6,666 posts best go find a place to make another while i still can--lol

Last edited:

DTR

I also have some neat kits in stock. Check out the 2X18650 host/heatsink kit. Really a great looking host.:beer: