Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone feel your days of lasers are numbered?

D

Delorean Geek

I'm pretty new to the whole laser pointer thing. The only reason I got this far was my 2yr old 170-200mw greenie quit and I got a little re-interested into the higher poewred lasers.

I just bought my second high power laser from another member(400+mw 532) and my newly acquired Arctic. I didn't really buy them for anything except to just show off and keep in my office. The reason I got them was this:

It's only a matter of time before some idiot takes his pointer to a NASCAR race at night or a sporting event and starts blinding players/drivers. One high powered pointer pointed at a elected official during a public event, anything of that nature and it's light out. I think we are already seeing that with customs confiscating some of the Arctics. I just have a feeling these high powered lasers are going to get harder and harder to acquire, which is why I bought a few.

Does anyone else feel that high powered laser sales in the US are about to come to a halt, or are there just too many out there to control?

Your Fear is well founded. We are seeing Very High power lasers now Cheap enough for anyone to get them. We are going to see things change for that exact reason, more idiots can get one and be stupid.

We see kids bringing guns to school and are posting on youtube them mob stomping some poor kid. We live in a culture of "violence solves problems". We will see the same idiots ruin our hobby.

As time gos by it's just a matter of time. Sadly. All we can do is promote laser safety. but that wont reach everyone, nor does it make them follow. Most people are told "You shouldn't get a 1W as your 1st laser" "Ware Laser Safety Goggles, you and others to save your eyes!", and they hear and think, "Yeah Yeah I'm not no kid, I can handle it there just over protective" "I'm not a idiot I'm not going shine it in my eyes or Others there Crazy, I can;t see the beam while I'm burning things with them on...I got this"... And then there on the news saying they had no idea it was that powerful and didn't know etc etc...Why are these even being sold?? This powerful of a laser should be regulated... Banned and we get our hobby taken away from some idiot...

Last edited:
We're probably on the virge of draconian legislation as it is..

But OT.. I demand to know the last four digits of your VIN... and if your an owner.. you'll know what i'm talking about. :D

D

Delorean Geek

We're probably on the virge of draconian legislation as it is..

But OT.. I demand to know the last four digits of your VIN... and if your an owner.. you'll know what i'm talking about. :D

Talonlover here, where have you been? I have not seen you on the forums in some time.

shhh

Yes I do...........
Every night I go outside to light up the sky out in the sticks where I live.
I look up and see airplanes all over the sky.................
Then I walk back inside. lol
Its like I need there routes and times just to play in the dark.:(

Talonlover here, where have you been? I have not seen you on the forums in some time.

That project is on hold for the time being due to lack of funds. I refuse to put the body back on the frame only to have to pull it off again to do the stuff I want done. Needless to say it probably won't happen until the economy, and therefor my revenue, improves drastically. I still poke around dmctalk occasionally but it's mostly just lurking to see what's new.

burner

A full ban or very harsh crackdown is coming sooner than later. I can see the FDA making mandatory for a laser safety class before being about to buy a 20mW or more (or something along those lines) It sucks.

I wouldn't mind a required class or license. I'd welcome that. Then there'd be a way to legitimately get this stuff relatively easy.

I've taken more tests with the FAA and FCC than I can even remember. It's never stopped me. Want me to prove some kind of knowledge? Not a problem. And I'd do it with the FDA too.

It's only a matter of time before some idiot takes his pointer to a NASCAR race at night or a sporting event and starts blinding players/drivers. One high powered pointer pointed at a elected official during a public event, anything of that nature and it's light out. I think we are already seeing that with customs confiscating some of the Arctics. I just have a feeling these high powered lasers are going to get harder and harder to acquire, which is why I bought a few.

Does anyone else feel that high powered laser sales in the US are about to come to a halt, or are there just too many out there to control?

You could start just as much trouble abusing people at a Nascar or political event with your 200mW greenie.
I like aryntha's idea of a required safety class to obtain a license but until then, idiots will be idiots.
I understand what your saying....if there are more "events" then there is sure to be more media
coverage and possible government restrictions down the road.
IMO the Arctics are being confiscated because of the "in your face" media coverage.
They are being forced to act. But not beacause people are running around lasing people with them.
Thankfully the general public is still not interested in dropping $200 on a laser.
In fact, just about everyone I know would raise an eyebrow if I told them I spent even $50 on something they consider useless.
The first words out of the mouths of almost every single non-laser person I talk to are, "why do you have that?"
After I joke with them about the DNA sequencing I'm doing in my basement, I find that that the most accurate answer is "because their cool."
That's when I get the puzzled looks.
There has been plenty of opportunity before the 1watt laser to cause mayhem.
Remember....paranoia self destroya.

Lol...sorry for being so long winded. :rolleyes:

I think burner is right sadly. I think strict restrictions or an outright ban on anything over 5mw is coming within 18 months. Once they announce that the ban starts on X day you'll see the price of diodes probably quadruple as people start hoarding them. I know I'd probably stock up on supplies.

That now said I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of mandatory safety class that's required in order to get a 'laser permit.' In fact I'd almost welcome it. Something along the lines of a firearms safety course but for lasers.

I think burner is right sadly. I think strict restrictions or an outright ban on anything over 5mw is coming within 18 months. Once they announce that the ban starts on X day you'll see the price of diodes probably quadruple as people start hoarding them. I know I'd probably stock up on supplies.

That now said I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of mandatory safety class that's required in order to get a 'laser permit.' In fact I'd almost welcome it. Something along the lines of a firearms safety course but for lasers.

I do not think it will be easy to acquire said License. I think it will be restricted to Industry and Lab use and unless you have said job title your not getting squat. And if thats the case the whole idea of a Laser "hobby" will be blown up.

We can make em in our garage but if we get caught with it... Big $$ fines

IMO, the worse problem comes from in the USA; the 445 diodes.

Yes the daily;
I'm getting my 1st laser and I want a 1W laser what should I get Arctic "lol not 1W" or a Spartan 1W.. Etc ... "insert Blah blah blah"

This is the root of where the Ban will Spawn...

But it's the masses who just hop on and say PM sent...

Last edited:
nah, the worst isn't "I want a 1W laser", the worst is "I got a 1W laser".

The wortest is "I got it in the USA" or "I got it on LPF".

LSRFAQ

So Sorry, but the usual 1% troublemakers became too large of a group to be ignored.

Probably No licensing, as no citizen group of consequence lobbied / voiced a need/desire for the hand held device other then as a rescue beacon for true emergencies.

Laser show users will see the same existing regulations, but probably more enforced.

Sorry guys, but the Chinese were greedy. You fed them well and they enjoyed a wild ten to one or more price markup and the weakness of our security and enforcement. They will simply move on to the next market for easy Dollars.

The new federal rule will probably be for outdoors misuse, but I would not be shocked to see serious changes in what is really allowed to be imported and serious changes to direct marketing. FAA studies are showing even a few mW to be a distraction, and the aviation folks circled the wagons.

New state rules are on the way in many states.

Local law enforcement is really starting to crack down:

Quote:

US: California woman arrested for illuminating two helicopters
Thu, Feb 17 2011 Filed in: Arrests | Aircraft incidents
Police announced that on Feb. 5, they arrested a Long Beach (California) woman for illuminating two helicopters on Jan. 29 2011, causing one to break off an aerial search for suspects who had shot at detectives. Officers on the ground located 34-year-old Kelly Ann Smith. They took her laser pointer and released her so they could continue searching for the shooting suspects. One week later, she was arrested, spent the night in jail, and was released the next day on $20,000 bail. She faces two felony counts of discharging a laser at an aircraft.

According to the Los Angeles Times, “Police said they hoped the arrest would send a message that this type of offense would be punished harshly.”

Steve

I am 100% cool with them cracking down on the idiots who want to shine it at anything with people in it. I just hope it ends there...