Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Doctor Who burning laser... Modification in the works...

If you're a fan of Doctor Who, you might like this modification I am currently working on.
I'm building a 1W 808nm laser, and housing it inside this:
sonic_screwdriver.jpg

But that's not the main reason I started this thread.
The real reason is in fact the reason I decided to use the Sonic Screwdriver-
I had nothing to house my project in!

I like building things that are completely portable, as in put it in your pocket. The problem is, I have no idea where to find housings for these kinds of projects, which is what I really wanted to ask. I've seen plenty of tutorials on driver circuits and such, but what about housing these permanently? I mean, who wants to carry around a breadboard? I know I don't.

So If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Also, now that I have found this site, I will definitely be joining some conversations here. :beer:

EDIT: Well nevermind, while looking through the forums I found this:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/jayrob-build-kits-lenses-other-stuff-listed-here-44227.html

I think this might have been what I was looking for.

Last edited:

JLSE

Damn, I was expecting a phone booth mod when I clicked on this thread..

Still looks interesting though.

MikeBP

Damn, I was expecting a phone booth mod when I clicked on this thread..

Still looks interesting though.

You sir have obviously never seen a Doctor Who episode

Its a police box

as for the sonic screwdriver thing I was thinking about the exact same thing for the last 3 days but I wouldnt make a burning laser I would want to use a cheap 50mw red.

I love Doctor Who (I admit I only started watching when the 8th Doctor was around) and I think the new kid will do a good job, we will see what happens though.

JLSE

LOL, the last time I watched Dr Who, I was 5 and it was Tom Baker..

Actually it was a TARDIS disguised and refereed to as a few things, one of them being a 'police box'

TARDIS - Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space

Still looks like a phone booth to me :)

MikeBP

LOL, the last time I watched Dr Who, I was 5 and it was Tom Baker..

Actually it was a TARDIS disguised and refereed to as a few things, one of them being a 'police box'

TARDIS - Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space

Still looks like a phone booth to me :)

He was the longest running DOC, and I meant the 9th Doctor not the 8th. Only been paying attention to the series since Chris started the show when I was 16 watching the show online :whistle:. Before that I would catch one of the old movies once in a while. Love the show and I think DT was a great Doc but only becuase he did it for so long im sure the new Doc will stop acting like DT and start acting like the DOC in enough time.

Hah well I'm glad there are some Dr. Who fans out there. As for the type and power of the laser, I'm going with the 1W because I think then it will actually appear to be doing "something" when I point it at a dark object.. or maybe my cig.. lol lighting a cig with a sonic screwdriver...

by the way.... my wife says I'm still a kid....

Morgan

Why not stay with the blue theme and put in a Bluray? Then you can still use the UV pen side of the screwdriver and illuminate it with the laser! (Assuming that is the variant you have there. It looks like it seeing as you have the notebook too.)

If you really want to go mad why not mod, The Master's Laser Screwdriver?!!!

M
:)

Why not stay with the blue theme and put in a Bluray?

Because the new one's GREEN! :p

(My brother had a toy sonic screwdriver with a violet LED in it, I've been sorely tempted to steal it and put a PHR in there since the day he got it...)

MikeBP

he said he wants the 1w so it will burn faster. understandable... make it working and since no one can see the beam it will be more Doctor Who ish.

Morgan

Because the new one's GREEN! :p

(My brother had a toy sonic screwdriver with a violet LED in it, I've been sorely tempted to steal it and put a PHR in there since the day he got it...)

^The new one may be green but the one posted is not the new one! I wait with patience for the new one to become available however. I wonder if MilleniumFX will be making one of those? *rubbing chin thoughtfully*

As to a 1Watt 808nm installed in a host that is plastic? I have my doubts this is feasible. Understandable but not feasible.

M

JLSE

You would still be able to burn and have a beam with anything other than a multimode IR.

Besides, putting a 1W LD into something designed to be a toy is not all that wise. There is a higher probability that someone will lose an eye...

he said he wants the 1w so it will burn faster. understandable... make it working and since no one can see the beam it will be more Doctor Who ish.
Exactly the idea I had in mind. :evil:

^The new one may be green but the one posted is not the new one! I wait with patience for the new one to become available however. I wonder if MilleniumFX will be making one of those? *rubbing chin thoughtfully*

As to a 1Watt 808nm installed in a host that is plastic? I have my doubts this is feasible. Understandable but not feasible.

M

Lol I could have sworn though the new one is blue-green.
Besides that though, as to the plastic thing- I do have a heatsink for it, and will test for temperature range first of course. That had already crossed my mind.

You would still be able to burn and have a beam with anything other than a multimode IR.

Besides, putting a 1W LD into something designed to be a toy is not all that wise. There is a higher probability that someone will lose an eye...

MikeBP said it- I don't want the beam to exactly be visible.
As far as safety- I keep all my lasers either locked up in my safe, or on my person. I never leave these down- I have 4 kids lol.

lol yea thats true..... maybe i should then.... hmmm..... right now collaborating with jayrob to build the laser in an actual housing first anyways. Once I have one that works, with the proper driver circuit and all, then I will figure out how to "Dr. Who"ize it. lol