Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you think it would be bad to ask for free DVD burner drives?

Hiemal

Well, my school's computer systems use DVD burner drives in every single desktop..

Many of the kids in the school take out the rubber band drive belts in the drives, making them unable to open properly.

I was thinking about asking the IT lady to see if they have any broken DVD burner drives I could possibly have, but I don't know if that would be such a good idea...

TuhOz

Why not, if they are just going to throw them away?

Hiemal

I'm just worried about what they may think when I ask. :p

I.E. Why do you need broken DVD burner drives?

Plus, they don't ever replace them. The drives that have no rubber bands have been in the same computers for ...well, as long as I've been here! I don't even know if they have any they're getting rid of :I

As an IT person who works in schools. I can tell you why they don't get replaced. They don't get replaced because the IT staff just knows the kids will tear them up again. It's just throwing money away.

Ablaze

Lots of people get lots of free old equipment from schools. My school just gave me a printer it didn't want anymore.

Most of the time if you offer to do the service of carrying it out of the storage closet they're happy to give you their old junk.

Heh.. Back when I was in high school the kids did the whiteout on the monitors, and lightbulbs, paper clips and pens in the floppy drives... Then they started stealing the mouse balls...

I was in charge of IT at my school (when I was in school) and we got a whole box a new mice so I crazy glued all the access ports shut so if you wanted the ball you had to take the mouse apart. Then they just started stealing the buttons... -.-

We just stopped replacing that too... Once they broke it they were stuck with it.

Go to any PC service shop and ask if they have any old DVD burners you can have. Most times they will give you a pile for free. You can also find out if they have a electronic recycling center in your area. I'm sure they'll have a pile of computers laying around.

LPC diodes can be bought for under $10. Why not just buy one?

If they ask, you can tell them that there is a few neodymium magnets inside the cd drive that you want.

Last edited:

Hiemal

I may do what Tech_Junkie says. I think that my school just fixes pretty much everything electronic wise if it's broken.

I need to find a PC repair place near me first. :p