Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Do you smell that? Cardboard, son" video

sbdwag

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Cardboard, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of cardboard in the morning"

Well sort of. Thanks to Chris at heruursciences sending me a decent 1W 808nm diode I thought lets see what this sucker can do. So I bumped it up to 1700ma's. The results is an impressive increase in power.

Gentlemen I present cardboard burn.

YouTube - cardboardburn

regards
sbdwag

That video reminds me of when I was younger and I played with Magnifine glasses outside trying to burn things with the power of the sun.

Nice video. How does it feel to play with Class 4 lasers?
Do you know how much mW it's putting out?

LOL.. nice. You gat a fire extingusher nearby? 'Cause one of these times you're gonna need it.:eg:

sbdwag

Elektrofreak

You know that's already happened. Its seems like there is a critical temperature of combustion. And when it happens you've got a fire on you hands.

I screwed up last night I was doing this same think and my wife was upstairs sleeping.

The smell woke her up and she came running down the stairs and about shit when she saw what I was doing.

I'm almost like the old dog who shit on the carpet. I'm defiantly in the dog house and I'm almost delegated to the garage.

Regards
sbdwag

Last edited:
Very cool you keep plugging away there SBDWAG I like your style ! just take your lasers to the dog house with you LOL...

Elektrofreak

You know thats already happened. Its seems like there is a critical temperature of combustion. And when it happens you've got a fire on you hands.

I screwed up last night I was doing this same think and my wife was upstairs sleeping.

The smell woke her up and she came running down the stairs and about shit when she saw what I was doing.

I'm almost like the old dog who shit on the carpet. I'm definatly in the dog house and Im almost delegated to the garage.

Regards
sbdwag

Think dark flammable liquids. Used motor oil in a small container. Just be careful of specular reflectors. The surface of liquids can provide very hazardous reflections, even in the visible spectum. SAFETY ALWAYS.

sbdwag

Nice video. How does it feel to play with Class 4 lasers?
Do you know how much mW it's putting out?

I have no idea! Without an expensive meter there is no way to tell.
I found so many spec's for a 1W 808nm diode. All the way from .75 W/A to .92W/A. Anyway its well over 1W perhaps close to 1.5W

That's one thing that is very lacking, spec's on these diodes. I guess most people must just ramp up current with a Wattmeter until they reach spec wattage.

Regards
sbdwag

sbdwag

Think dark flammable liquids. Used motor oil in a small container. Just be careful of specular reflectors. The surface of liquids can provide very hazardous reflections, even in the visible spectum. SAFETY ALWAYS.

Now your really trying to get me in the doghouse. Does it burn, smoke, explode or all of the above.

regards
sbdwag

I have no idea! Without an expensive meter there is no way to tell.
I found so many spec's for a 1W 808nm diode. All the way from .75 W/A to .92W/A. Anyway its well over 1W perhaps close to 1.5W

That's one thing that is very lacking, spec's on these diodes. I guess most people must just ramp up current with a Wattmeter until they reach spec wattage.

Regards
sbdwag

A Kenometer LPM can measure up to 10 Watts.. and it's not that
expensive... Maybe find a used one (even cheaper)...;)

Nice burning video... :gj: on ramping up the power of your laser build..

Jerry

sbdwag

A Kenometer LPM can measure up to 10 Watts.. and it's not that

I did'nt know that. Ill will defiantly look into it.

Regards
sbdwag

Last edited:

Jaseth

Really cool :)
I'm glad you got a good one.

I do in fact love the smell of burning cardboard - mine just gets fried by bursts of BR or 532nm.
Seb

Awesome build, i like the end when you held it up to the light and you could see all the smoke still rolling off of it.

Nomad

Looks like you are having heaping helpings of fun- just remember to keep the fire department on speed dial. Can you imagine explaining to your claims adjuster how you burned down your place playing with a beam of light? Congrats on most likely breaking the 1000mW output power barrier! Someone should send you a certificate or something.

Last edited: