Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do magnifying glasses really work?

AndyR

Received my 50 mW greenie from Rayfoss today! :D

Managed to pop a balloon, smoke some dark stuff, but I decided to experiment some more. I grabbed my handy compass/whistle/mini magnifying glass contraption and was sad to see that it did not increase its burning capabilities, but worsened it!

It barely appears that the magnifying glass decreases the beam's size, and a large dot shows up on the opposite wall, reflecting away from the magnifying glass. Is it supposed to do that, because it seems as if the reflection takes up a lot of the laser's power? Perhaps its my magnifying glass?

P.S. Yes I know a magnifying glass is not supposed to increase the power but only decrease the size, but it seems like it doesn't increase the power density at all. And yes, I am using goggles. Also I know my laser is not meant for burning and if I really wanted a burner I should buy a dilda or something similar. (I just want to see how much my laser can really do with external help).

Your little cheapo magnifying glass is not anti reflective coated....

you need a higher quality optic for what you are trying to do.

You will need to get yourself a larger Glass Magnifying glass or a convex
lens... also... you will need to find the Focal Point of your Glass lens
before doing your experiment....

Jerry

attachment.php

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 3,699