Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do All Green Lasers Have An IR Filter?

So i'm looking into buying a 100mw green laser pointer as my first, this is the one --->Here<---, and when looking into buying a good pair of green laser goggles I've run into a few places where it says that green lasers also may emit some IR light as well, which i would need special goggles to protect my eyes from. What i want to know is would a laser like the one im interested in buying emit IR wavelengths powerful enough to hurt my eyes wearing goggles that only protect from green 532nm wavelengths? -or does the laser itself have a filter on it for that? It doesn't list it in the product description and I dont know if thats always on a laser such as this one..:thanks:

No, not all green lasers have an IR filter. That laser will not have an IR filter, but you can probably ask o-like to install one for you. (They've done this in the past, I don't know if they still do it.)

Read up on how green lasers (DPSS) works a little.

No, not all green lasers have an IR filter. That laser will not have an IR filter, but you can probably ask o-like to install one for you. (They've done this in the past, I don't know if they still do it.)

Read up on how green lasers (DPSS) works a little.

I have been researching a lot about it now actually and Im going to try to see if they will install one for me, but would this be 100% necessary for a 100mw laser like this or would I be safe enough without one?

Probably yes, but I can't say definitely.

Usually with cheaper modules, like in this laser, IR content can be anywhere between 2% and 60%. Most often it's somewhere in the middle. So let's say the IR output is at 30%, which means 30mW.

This is not really a safe amount, except that the IR light is not going to be focused/collimated anywhere near as well as the green light. So using the laser without goggles, you would need to worry about the green light, long before you worry about the IR.

Using the laser with goggles, you would probably be ok when it comes to a reflection, but not a direct hit.

Again, this is not a certain answer, since the actual specs of the laser are unknown.

Easiest thing would be to just install an IR filter, either yourself, or have them do it. The way that laser is made, it would actually be very easy to do, to just epoxy it under the collimating lens. (Don't use super glue!)

Ok, installing a filter seems easy enough.. but where would I buy one? Nevermind, I think I found one Glass IR Filter Lens High transmittance for 532nm Green laser-in Lenses from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com
Thanks For your help, InfinitusEquitas!

Last edited:
Ok, installing a filter seems easy enough.. but where would I buy one?

I like the ones(come as apair) from ebayer techhood-good quality and price- quick ship.

direct green diodes need no IR filter.

There are sevearl ways to test for IR filtration.

General rule of thumb- cheapies = no filter..

as far as eye protection-- IR is a real bad wavelength- almost invisiable--and the worst part-- as its common for people to look into a flashlight that appears to be not working its natural for SOME to do this with a green laser too. IF the IR pump is working but no green is being emitted you could get eye damage this way very easily.

BTW please edit your double posts into a single one. anytime you want to add more to an existing post or thread use edit at the bottom of the box.

There are exceptions to this 'rule' but your double posts do not qualify.

Last edited:
BTW please edit your double posts into a single one. anytime you want to add more to an existing post or thread use edit at the bottom of the box.

There are exceptions to this 'rule' but your double posts do not qualify.
My mistake Hakzaw1, I fixed it. BTW I've actually found a cheaper IR Filter on O-Like for around 3 bucks that I'm going to buy instead. Thanks for your reply:eek: