Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do all DX Greenies have the same problem?

I was just wondering if all greenies from DX have the same problem where the beam is very bright at the start of pushing the button but within about 3 seconds the beam goes from highly visible to extremely dim and not very visible. Is it really just the luck of the draw when you purchase from DX? I have heard the the tru 30mW greenie from there is the most reliable one that they sell. Is this true? I would like to have an inexpensive green laser that is very reliable in terms of the beam visibility and the divergence.

Thanks

Really, none of those pen cases are going to do very well. Even the 5mW green lasers get warm relatively quickly. It's because there's a 350mW IR diode pumping those crystals and that thing needs to decent cooling. The true 30mW is only suggested because it's cheap and it's at about the threshold where you can keep it on for long enough to play with it without it dying from the heat. It's still not that great.

If I were you, I'd look down the list of the lasers DX offers and get one with a better heatsink. We all want things to be cheap, but it's no good if it has a short lifetime. Some of the higher end models also have better quality buttons (not the Romisens though), and don't have so many internal reflections so you don't see some lame halo around the beam.

A lot of the time this dimming problem can be fixed with better batteries, my True 30 dimes like that on bad batteries but when I use eneloop rechargeables the laser works fine.

So even if I use a fresh set of Duracell AAA's and compare them to AAA rechargeables, the AAA rechargeables will keep the beam visible longer than the Duracell AAA's?  :-?

Check out this Green Laser from DX...it runs off a CR2 and its not in a pen case. Im thinking that this would work better? You tell me.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7883

Try a fresh pair of energizer AAAs in your laser and see if that fixes your problem. Any good battery should keep the laser from dimming, I used eneloop rechargeables as an example because everybody around here knows of those as being a good battery.

That one you linked to is good BTW.

Alkaline batteries (the one-time use ones) are best for keeping their charge over long periods of time. They don't, however, as much juice as many of these rechargeable ones. The problem with rechargeables is that they lose their charge over time; Eneloops are better in that they keep most of their charge over time, but they're quite expensive. Rechargeable also have lower voltage than their alkaline counterparts. For AAs it means a NiMH rechargeable will have 1.2V to 1.3V instead of the full 1.5V. The opposite is true for Lithium-based rechargeable batteries, which often have higher voltages than their non-rechargeable counterparts, at least right after being recharged.

As for that laser, the best part of that one is that it has a toggle switch on the back of it. It might also be better for the heatsink, but the laser is often loose inside that case so it really doesn't conduct heat so well. Also, look at that left dot-shot photo on that page. See all those nasty halos and stuff? Those are from internal reflections of the casing and such, which I find makes the laser output kind of lame. I'd probably take it apart and use it for some other rig because of the tailcap switch, but not as a green laser to use.

You're paying about $30 for that thing, so why not spend a little more for something better? This 50mW one is supposedly pretty decent, and they offer a pre-pot modded version for the same price (100mW). The fact that it can be pot modded to 100mW probably means it is pretty stable. It also uses the CR123A batteries which I like more than the CR2s, since it seems more things use them.

hmm I see your point ... my main goal here is just to avoid the problem where the beam goes dim. Im not sure I would like to get a laser that has already been pot modded unless the top screws off and the pot is easly accessible to change. That does sound like a better deal though. Does anyone have one of these that runs off of a CR2 or CR123A? Should I be concerned that these lasers are not stated as being True? Im wondering if I would be able to screw the top off of this one here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12595~r.82028401 and just adjust the pot myself.

iewed

I've found that with alkaline batteries, my DX 30 dimmed extremely fast, but once I bought some e2 lithiums, I was able to use the laser for 2+ minutes without dimming. Just be sure to hold the laser near the back, when your fingers are near the IR pump, the added body heat causes dimming as well.

Alright well I def dont want to get a pen style case again so Im considering getting one of these two. I just need to know if anyone has either one of these and if there is a noticeable difference between the two. I understand that Bionic-Badger has pointed out the issue with the halos but with the one in the second link, im not sure if the top just screws off. I want easy access to the driver and the one in the first link is super easy to get to.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7883

OR

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12595

Hi Charlie, laser ITEM7883 is a great laser, IF YOU CAN GET A GOOD ONE. Out of 4 I got 1 that wasn't DOA + they are ALWAYS back ordered for wks & wks But the 1 GOOD 1 I have runs like a champ, & since its body is almost 100% brass it makes a great heatsink. Heck I've run that one for over 10 straight mins. & it just was slightly warm, & that was after the easiest pot-mod i've EVER done. The last one I got though,after a 4 wk. wait, came in the mail, I opened it up, put the batt. in the right way, turned it on, & out shot a visible(in the house,daytime) green beam for like 5 sec. then it flickered & went out. I think they got a bad batch from the mfgr. cause I see they are back ordered AGAIN. IMHO, KADOMAIN has a 50mW same stle laser called EDWINA with a solid COPPER body that is a better heatsink than BRASS. Mine arrived last wk. & so far, no problemo, & I haven't 'modded' it yet. but the 'pot' is as easy to get to as the DX #7883 laser. I hope this helps you decide (GET THE EDWINA!)phoenix77/rob :cool:

diachi

Its only some of the DX greenies that do this, I have the Romisen L-A030 and that has no problems.

Diachi

Thanks for the suggestion. Where do you get the Edwina laser you were talking about? Does anyone know if that one in the second link is easy to take apart? Maybe I should just get the 30mW flashlight style one (first link) because of alot of people have supported it.

The EDWINA can be purchased at KAIDOMAIN. It's another site like DX. It's far & away your best laser for the money ;)phoenix77/rob :cool:

diachi

except the fact that KD's shipping is even slower than DX's ?

Diachi

Yeah, but the EDWINA IS IN STOCK, I got mine in 2wks. DX's #7883 IS ALWAYS BACKORDERED.rob/phoenix77 :cool: