Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Parts and specifications

Asherz

Hey everyone, You are probally fed up of us new people coming in and bugging you what we should do to build our first laser, and I just want to say before I add to those I apreciate the hard work and patience you guys put into answering our questions :)

So on with the post, I am looking to build  a red laser 100 - 200mw,

I was wandering if these parts will work well together and wether or not I am missing anything:

Surface Mount FULL RANGE ADJUSTABLE Laser Driver pre-assembled --- ( From stonetek )

Sony Diode Pre-Installed In Aixiz Module --- ( From stonetek ) = Will this prevent me having to use a vice to pressfit the diode into the module? As I do not own one, hence the pre installed one.

So far this is all I have got, I was wandering if someone could fill me in on anything else I need, and whether or not a torch case, to go around the aixiz module is necessery... And whether or not these parts will work ok together :)

Another note, I have been browsing the forum for suitable saftey goggles, and still not sure on what type to purchase, So if anyone could tell me what goggles I would need or a link to a pair that I can protect my eyes to my best ability from the current laser I am building :) ( I will only be making red lasers)

Thanks again in advance for any help :)

ok...Stonetek is a good place to start buying laser components...But i suggest you buy the diode in the module from stonetek but buy the driver from rkcstr directly...just pm him...you will save about 7 dollars...Next, if you arent going to put it into a flashlight then may i suggest a labby style laser? If you want to do that then here is the link for that: http://www.z-bolt.com/MODIIIbg-green-laser-module.html it is the last one on the list...Then if you are going to do that then you need a power source...a 6v battery source works...i got mine from radio shack (holds 4 AAs and has a switch on the battery holder) and if you can't go to radio shack then just tape 4 AAs together and put a switch in (it is worth the 4 dollars that the battery holder costs trust me!) and thats about it...

EDIT: look at the quote in my sig...I cant emphasize it enough...I broke 4 diodes before i got it to work lol....

Asherz

thanks man :) Apreciate the reply, I will look into buying the driver directly from the guy, as long as he can ship to the UK and accepts paypal :) If not I don't mind paying extra.

And as for the 4 AA's I can get hold of a black box which holds 4 with a postive and negative wire coming out and a on off switch so thattle be great :)

thanks again..  another quick thing, Do you think its worth buying an extra pre assembled module just incase I screw up the first? and I dont need to purchase a special module do I to run the laser from there without a flash torch casing? Will the one from stonetek be fine? and do i need to make any adjustments to it

Asherz said:
thanks man :) Apreciate the reply, I will look into buying the driver directly from the guy, as long as he can ship to the UK and accepts paypal :) If not I don't mind paying extra.

And as for the 4 AA's I can get hold of a black box which holds 4 with a postive and negative wire coming out and a on off switch so thattle be great :)

thanks again..  another quick thing, Do you think its worth buying an extra pre assembled module just incase I screw up the first?  and I dont need to purchase a special module do I to run the laser from there without a flash torch casing? Will the one from stonetek be fine? and do i need to make any adjustments to it

1) im pretty sure he ships to UK
2) good
3)Well thats your call...if you are a good solderer and have confidence then only buy 1 and if you are unsure and have the extra money buy it...you can always use in another build
4)Well, The one from stonetek is only the module...its better than nothing but for an extra 21.50 i think its worth getting the heatsink so you dont have to worry about duty cycles...But if you dont want to buy the extra heatsink then just keep a conservative duty cycle...(30 sec on 30 sec - 1 min off)

PM me if you need any more help...im happy to help

Asherz said:
Hey everyone, You are probally fed up of us new people coming in and bugging you what we should do to build our first laser, and I just want to say before I add to those I apreciate the hard work and patience you guys put into answering our questions :)

So on with the post, I am looking to build  a red laser 100 - 200mw,

I was wandering if these parts will work well together and wether or not I am missing anything:

Surface Mount FULL RANGE ADJUSTABLE Laser Driver pre-assembled --- ( From stonetek )

Sony Diode Pre-Installed In Aixiz Module --- ( From stonetek ) = Will this prevent me having to use a vice to pressfit the diode into the module? As I do not own one, hence the pre installed one.

So far this is all I have got, I was wandering if someone could fill me in on anything else I need, and whether or not a torch case, to go around the aixiz module is necessery... And whether or not these parts will work ok together :)

Another note, I have been browsing the forum for suitable saftey goggles, and still not sure on what type to purchase, So if anyone could tell me what goggles I would need or a link to a pair that I can protect my eyes to my best ability from the current laser I am building :) ( I will only be making red lasers)

Thanks again in advance for any help :)

well you can get a 16x from stonetek in a module for like $26 i think,
or you could get one with twice the power from drew (also already installed in a module) for somewhere around $18 or $19

as for the driver, buy it directly from ryan from http://rkcstr.nfshost.com/, if your new i'd suggest getting a fixed output, unless you know what your doing and have a dummy load to test......

if your still getting the stonetek diode, and ARE going to get a fixed output driver, get a 250mA driver for stonetek's, or a 420mA for drew's

and once you have both of those you just need something to provide 5.4v to the driver.

And you might as well buy more then one setup, because after you get one working you will want more, and more, and more...... :)

I run my stonetek diodes at 300mA and it still works great...but if you want it to last a long time run it at 250

Asherz

oo thanks for all the great replys people :)

So, can I ask how much for powerfull the diode in the module is from drew? and how powerfull the one from stonetek is? As its only my first I dont need anything more that 200Mw...

So I think I will buy the pre-installed diode from stonetek and then a fixed driver from ryan at 250ma ... Then I also have a black quad AA battery holder as a power supply is that ok? and do I just solder the positive and negative wires onto the the driver?

All that is left now is too order some goggles, which ones shall I get for the stonetek diode?

and as for ordering more than one I am considering ordering another driver and module.. but we will see :)

thanks again.