Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Medical Line Beam Laser 635nm - Pulse Question

I'm working on a project to make programmable 635nm / 10mW line beam laser for medical / wound healing / acupuncture usage.

The actual medical lasers that do this cost $2000-15000. Though they claim to be "true laser" "expensive diodes." Compare to Erchonia PL5 or Chattanooga Genisys lasers.

See links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMrqrmCaAw&feature=related

Seems to me that 635nm @ 5mw or 10mw is no fancier than a laser pointer.

I've purchased four 635nm / 10mw axziz red laser diodes and a line generator lens to get that fancy line.

What I can't figure out is an easy way to make the laser pulse. The only thing I can think of is a function generator but I'd like to make the 4 laser diodes each pulse at a different frequency. But I've not found a function/signal generator that can do 4 separate outputs.

Is there some tool or product or type that does this? Or has someone else tried to DIY this?

I'm thinking I can build one of these myself for under $200.

Any help or point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Trevor

Well, four transistors, and Arduino, and some timer code might be what you want.

What frequencies were you looking at?

-Trevor

Well, four transistors, and Arduino, and some timer code might be what you want.

What frequencies were you looking at?

-Trevor

Awesome. I barely hit post and already got a reply. Love this forum.

Perfect, I actually have an Arduino Uno Kit and some 555 timers and leds that I've been meaning to bust out.

What transistor/s would I need? I'm somewhat familiar with electronics from a few circuit bending classes I recently took. But I don't understand what model or type transistor I would need.

For frequencies, I'm looking at 9, 16, 32, 82 which are the "neurological" frequencies that are pre-programmed into the unit.

I'm not so sure if the frequencies are what do the healing or if it's the placebo as long as the laser is pulsed and not continuous.

I'm also thinking of doing a randomized frequency over a range (ie. 8-12 Hz for alpha frequency or whatever range that's called) as a separate programming project. But I'm going to keep things simple and just try the 4 frequencies above.

There are also Rife frequencies that may be useful in the future:
rife frequency list
(Scroll 1/4 down the page to see the huge list)

There is also this article below that discusses frequencies for healing.

“In vivo irradiation at energy densities of 3.5J/cm2 at 3000 Hz accelerated healing of rat wounds, while a frequency of 1500 did not do so.”
“FREQUENCIES Frequencies in laser dosimetry is another vast area to be considered. Lasers can be used in continuous mode or pulsed. Pulsed lasers deliver fewer joules than continuous. However, the frequency, or pulses per second, can be used to achieve specific effects. As explained by Dyson(11), the cyclotron resonance theory states that biological effects occur around particular frequencies, and these depend upon the mass and charge of the particles involved. The major activities of the cell, controlled by membrane permeability to ions such as calcium are modified by these frequency windows. Studies by the same author with the same power and energy densities showed 500 Hz to produce inhibition whereas low frequency pulsation as 2 hz produced stimulation. Studies by Ueda et al(32) with GaAlA used continuous and pulsed mode on proliferation of bone cells. Pulsed irradiation stimulated cellular proliferation, bone nodule formation, ALP activity and ALP gene _expression more than continuous irradiation. The author concluded that pulsing is an important factor affection biological response to bone formation. Bradley at the Naalt 2003 Conference suggested the following frequencies for specific pathologies
2 Hz Nerve regeneration, neurite outgrowth,
7 Hz Bone growth
10 Hz Ligamentous healing
15, 20, 72 Hz. Decreased skin necrosis, stimulation of capillary formation and fibroblast proliferation 2.5 Hz. Endorphin release
200 Hz Serotonin release
David Rindge(32) explains the principles of pulsing which is accommodated with the view that the body’s sensitivity to any steady stimulus diminishes over a period of time. Pulsing aligns the rhythms of the cells when correctly used. Pulsing for lasers with a steady power output is different than for the GaAs laser which builds up to a momentary peak that may be 1000 fold greater than its average output. Tunér/Hode(33) in their book Laser Therapy suggested for superpulsed GaAs lasers
Pain, neuralgia 0 – 100 Hz
General stimulation 700 Hz
Oedema, swellings 1000 Hz
General stimulation 2500 Hz
Inflammations 5000 Hz
Infections 10,000 Hz
more info = http://www.mdfrontiers.com/files/articles/malini chaudri & jan tuner on lllt - coherence journal 4.pdf

But from what I'm reading I'm going to have to get cracking on that arduino. Thanks again Trevor!

Last edited:

Trevor

For the type of transistor... honestly I'd just Google "Arduino transistor" and use whatever transistor is used in the tutorial. xD

Those frequencies can definitely be covered with a well-written timer setup. Good luck! :)

-Trevor

What a bunch of bunk....
So according to her the cells in my body communicate
with each other using light...:thinking:
And that Laser device can treat pain more effectively
than Morphine...:thinking:

It also Balances brain waves...:eek: and treats Autism :whistle:
and don't forget relieving Burn Pain....:facepalm:

Smells more like a Snake Oil sales person....:crackup::crackup:

But if you want to make a similar Laser Line apparatus..
it won't take more than an LM555.... a FET and a few
passive components to mimic what I saw in the Video....

Jerry

Last edited: