Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY LASER SIGHT??

[highlight]Has anyone made a DIY laser sight for a gun?  If so, how did it hold up to the constant abuse?[/highlight]
I am thinking about trying this out.  For testing on abuse, I am going to strap my old Dorcy Jr Red to a 12 gage Shotgun this weekend.  I am going to about 50 shells through it.  If it can handle the shock, then there just maybe a chance that I can actually get this to work.

If I have a chance, I will post pictures of a before, during, and after shooting. :)

How rugged the sight is comes down to how it's constructed.

One of the most important things is to make sure ALL your connections are
A) tight
B) Well solders
C) remove as much "wiggle" room from all components as you can (example when I make mine, cause I do have one planned, I am going to fill mine with Epoxy. Yes that makes it where I can't work on it, but if I build it right, i'll never have to worry about it.)

If anything has the ability to shift or disconnect then it's not going to make a good sight.

Hope that helps.

Switch

I think it's gonna work if you build it to be solid enough on the inside.If you wanna try putting DPSS on a sight you'll probably have to do alot more than to fit a module or a pen on the gun.

Switch said:
I think it's gonna work if you build it to be solid enough on the inside.If you wanna try putting DPSS on a sight you'll probably have to do alot more than to fit a module or a pen on the gun.

I understand this, but for just the testing phaze I am going to strap it to a 12 gage just to see if it can take the beating. After I do this, then I will see what I can do. As for now, all I can say is that it will have up, down, left, and right adjustments on it and it will be relatively small. I think the most dificult part will be getting it to return to zero every single time you mount it.

Personally I would suggest getting an army surplus laser sight without the actual electronics if possible, just the shell that clips on to the rifle, along with the switch and and all that, then just pop in your own custom made laser. Make a tight fit then just fill in the rest with something like glue.

Geneticz said:
Personally I would suggest getting an army surplus laser sight without the actual electronics if possible, just the shell that clips on to the rifle, along with the switch and and all that, then just pop in your own custom made laser. Make a tight fit then just fill in the rest with something like glue.

Yeah, I will have to look into that.

What I was going to do for my first one, is to put the laser in a light that was made to be mounted on a gun. That way, I can have plenty of room for a decent size heat sink so the laser can have a long run time on a high power output.

Like I said though, I am still looking into everything and am doing experiments.

THanks for your input :)

Sorry about my text turning to "army surplus" meant to say

S
U
R
P
L
U
S

But I'm sure you got the point in the first place, rendering this post useless. D'oh! ;D